Kalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wanting to start using kalkwasser any advice? Info? Experiences? Thanks

I currently dose kalk through my ATO on my nano cube. It takes a little bit to get it tuned in, but once I found the sweet spot on how much kalk my needs demanded, I was good. BRStv has a great video on it, should you choose to go this route.

Check your Alk & Ca levels. Mix your ATO solution to a MAX of 2 tbsp per gallon of RODI. Run for a week & adjust mixture to dial in desired kevels of Ca & Alk. Do not go above 2 tbsp per gallon - it won't mix.

Do not expose mixture to air & do not dose precipitated white stuff at the bottom of the container.

Dose to a sump or away from fish & corals & monitor your pH throughout. If your pH is rising more than you like research & consider adding vinegar to the mixture.

Every month or so clean out your mixing container.

Its best to dose as an ATO. I use a 50mL a minute pump from Bulkreefsupply and dose for "X" amount of minutes every hour at night. I had to figure out my evaporation amount and timed it that way. I have a light load of corals in my 55 so i started with 1/2tsp per gallon. I got my mag, alk and calcium where i wanted them started the kalk and tested every few days if the levels dropped in tank the next time i made top off i add more alk until i got to my sweet spot which is 1tsp per gallon.

I do it a cheapskate way , take a milk jug drill two holes in the cap ( holes sized so that airline tubing fits snug) then cut two pieces of airline tubing one short one long , then stick the longer tube through the holes you drilled and feed it into the milk jug until its about 2" off the bottom, then take the short piece and just stick it through the other drilled hole so the end of it does not go into the water. Now you put a air valve on the end of the long tube ( you need a metal one ) , make your kalk solution as mentioned in above posts, screw the cap on your jug and set the jug somewhere higher than your aquarium, and blow into the small tube, this should start the siphon into your larger tube, then adjust your air valve until you have about a drop every second or two , then monitor it and see how it does. It works great for me, I do about a gallon every other night.

View attachment 107484

View attachment 107485

image-609915324.jpg

Back
Top Bottom