kalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The middle of the reservior? My pump sits on the bottom of the container roughly in the middle.

What I was getting at is to what mixture the pump is drawing from. I had heard that when you mix the kalk that it creates a paste at the bottom and a film at the top so you need to siphon off the stuff in the middle.

When you mix the RO and kalk, do you not get this or is your pump pulling only the "good stuff" :)

Also, you say after you mix the kalk, you wait 8 hrs to turn the doser and float on. Does this mean your evaporation is not getting replenished during this time?

Sorry for all the questions but I am hoping I can use my current set up instead of adding more equipment :)

Thanks

What I was getting at is to what mixture the pump is drawing from. I had heard that when you mix the kalk that it creates a paste at the bottom and a film at the top so you need to siphon off the stuff in the middle.

When you mix the RO and kalk, do you not get this or is your pump pulling only the "good stuff"

When I first crank it up, I stick a bucket under the output hose of the pump and let it run for a while into the bucket. The undissolved Kalk is caught in the bucket and discarded. The pump isn't strong enough to pull the undissolved Kalk from every corner of the container so this step only needs to be done once unless I get in the container and stir everything up.

Also, you say after you mix the kalk, you wait 8 hrs to turn the doser and float on. Does this mean your evaporation is not getting replenished during this time?

I turn my sump fan off during this period. This drastically slows the evaporation rate. I typically only need to top it off by hand once during this period.

Thanks. I worried what would happen if the kalk paste was sucked into pump and spit into the sump. Is this a bad thing or you just end up with a cloudy tank?

Is this a bad thing or you just end up with a cloudy tank?

Its a bad thing. You don't want undissolved Kalk in the water. I am not sure on the exact chemistry behind it but it causes some problems.

Back
Top Bottom