Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
so if i mix it now it will me ready for tonight

Yup. Just siphon out the clear liquid over the top of the undissolved kalk.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Ok just want to make sure i am doing this right. So far i have some pickling lime mixed with R/O water. Now in 8 hours or so i will take only the clear liquid out of the tub i am mixing it in and then put the clear in my aquadose. Right. Then i want to drip it so it drips about 3 drops per second. Do i only want to do this at night or should i drip it all day? Then check my levels and if everything stayed the same then i should have the right dose? If not adjust it right? Anything else.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok just want to make sure i am doing this right. So far i have some pickling lime mixed with R/O water. Now in 8 hours or so i will take only the clear liquid out of the tub i am mixing it in and then put the clear in my aquadose. Right.
Right!

Quote:
Then i want to drip it so it drips about 3 drops per second
It will be trial and error for a while until you determine what drip rate you need in order keep you Alk and Ca in the correct levels. You will just need to test often for a while to see what the addition of the Kalk is doing to the tank.

Quote:
Do i only want to do this at night or should i drip it all day? Then
I dose Kalk 24/7 as do most, I assume.

Quote:
Then check my levels and if everything stayed the same then i should have the right dose? If not adjust it right
Correct. If you find that you Ca and Alk went too high after the dosing session, you can either cut back on the amount of Kalk used or you can set the drip rate a little slower.

Quote:
Anything else.
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you want to make sure you don't dose so fast that evaporation can't keep up. You don't want to decrease the salinity of your tank by putting in too much FW.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
I understand that. I recently upgraded my lighting to two halides instead on eone so i have a ton more evap now. So hopefully everything will be ok. One last thing. Waht do you mix your kalk in? Will anyting work? Also i jkust add the powder to the water and stir it up?
Old 07-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
One last thing. Waht do you mix your kalk in?
I use a 16 gallon Rubbermaid container for mixing and dosing. What I do first is put the Kalk into the dry container. Normally I use around 15-20 tablespoons of Kalk. Then I dump water into the container. This is all the mixing it requires. I then wait 8 or so hours and turn on the dosing pump and auto topoff switch which is located in my sump. This allows the automation of dosing Kalk and keeping the water level and salinity the same throughout the day. I have to refill my dosing container once every 10 days using this method.

Quote:
Will anyting work? Also i jkust add the powder to the water and stir it up?
Anything plastic will be fine. Yup, just add the water and stir it. If you add the water fast enough, like I do, it does all the mixing you need.

I am going to update my gallery so you can see the container I use. I'll do that now...
Old 07-05-2004, 12:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Does your kalk reservoir "drip" into the sump or does it pump the mix into the sump when the float triggers it? Looks like the latter.

Do you have a pump in the kalk container that pulls from the middle? I have a similar set up with my auto top off buy my pump pulls from the bottom of the container. If I could add kalk that way, that would be easy.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Does your kalk reservoir "drip" into the sump or does it pump the mix into the sump when the float triggers it? Looks like the latter.

The float switch triggers the pump it is connected to, to pump it into the sump.

Quote:
Do you have a pump in the kalk container that pulls from the middle?
The middle of the reservior? My pump sits on the bottom of the container roughly in the middle.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

-pseudo post hijack-
Do you use that little space fan on your sump as a "chiller" of sorts? I'm noticing high temps in my tank, and I'm wondering how well this has worked for you, if indeed that's why it is there.

Also, will the auto-topoff work on a gravity-feed type setup, or does it need a pump? Where'd you get your top-off vavle? Does the pump that pulls in the kalk sit in the sump and pull from the kalk container? I'd imagine if it sat in the kalk container it'd eat away at it. Thanks, and sorry to butt in!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you use that little space fan on your sump as a "chiller" of sorts? I'm noticing high temps in my tank, and I'm wondering how well this has worked for you, if indeed that's why it is there.
Actually, yes, that is one of the reasons it is there. The building my tank is located in (a business) isn't cooled at night. Here in Florida, it can get around 90F inside due to no air running. With the fan blowing over the sump, I keep the tank at a steady ~81F.

The second reason for the fan was to keep the evaporation rate high so that I could dose more Kalk into the tank to keep up with my Ca and Alk depletion. Although this doesn't seem to help too terrible much as I still have to dose Alk and Ca on a regular basis.

Quote:
Also, will the auto-topoff work on a gravity-feed type setup, or does it need a pump?
Wow, good question! I have never thought of doing it via gravity feed. You would have to have some kind of actually float in the sump that would trigger a release mechanism to dump the Kalk into the sump. I guess it would be similar to the way a toilet bowl would work. I think it may be easier to do it electronically, though.

Quote:
Where'd you get your top-off vavle?
I got it from www.autotopoff.com. ReefRunner also got his from there.

Quote:
Does the pump that pulls in the kalk sit in the sump and pull from the kalk container? I'd imagine if it sat in the kalk container it'd eat away at it. Thanks, and sorry to butt in!
Actually it sits in the kalk container. Most aquariums pumps don't actually have a "suction" to them on the intake when they are dry (there is a fancy word for this, but I can't remember what it is). So they always have to be submerged in water to draw an flow. So unless the kalk container was above the pump, there is no way I could "draw" the kalk into the sump. Because of this, the pump is placed in the kalk container and it pumps it to the sump. Make sense?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! The LFS has a slow drip on their tank. I suppose the Ca demand dictates how much you'd put it. I don't have a high demand...I could gravity-drop the kalk and use the top-off for the RO/DI. Though I'll probably just be increasing my Ca demand as my reef-keeping skills mature. Thnaks again, and again sorry for the post hijack!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com