kalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a drip doser like this and experimented for quite a while. I was attempting to do a continuous drip 24/7, but I could never get the drip rate to be consistent or accurate enough. No matter what I did, I would either drip too much, or the drip would stop. My Ca/Alk went too high, too low...aaarghh!

My conclusion was that I could only make it work by controlling the total amount dripped every day. That is, figure out how much Kalk I need every 24 hours and put only that much in the bottle...then drip away. The tank would get 24 hours worth of Kalk less than 24 hours. Even this caused me to have to be adjusting the amount all the time because I couldn't be consistent enough to redo the Kalk after exactly 24 hour intervals.

What I wanted was a Kalk system that I wouldn't have to deal with on a daily basis and that could be controlled accurately.

...so I ended up purchasing one of those medical dosing pumps ($80). It injects Kalk (saturated) at exactly 22ml/hr. This holds my Ca/Alk dead level. Two gallons of mixed Kalk lets me not worry about anything for 2 weeks.

I really recommend using a dosing pump....but like everything else, it costs extra.

Thanks everybody I feel a lot better now that I know.

Steve-s. I am in the process of getting my ca up too. Right now it's at 360, but my alk is at 4.25 mequ/l...again after a w/c with IO. So I need to get the ca up to 420 correct? Then I can dose kalk to maintain it? Kudos to you too!

Thanks Squishyfish for the article it was very helpful :D

clowninround said:
I am in the process of getting my ca up too. Right now it's at 360, but my alk is at 4.25 mequ/l...again after a w/c with IO. So I need to get the ca up to 420 correct? Then I can dose kalk to maintain it?
After it's balanced kalk is a great means of maintaining the chem in a balanced fashion. With an alk level currently at 4.25 mEq/l, Ca would need to be about 440-450 ppm. Not to worry though, as the Ca level is elevated alkalinity will fall off some so be patient and just keep maintaining the balance (mainly Ca) until you get to 2.9-3 mEq/l alk and 410-420 ppm Ca.

If you have it available, about 3 tspn per day of Kent Turbo Ca should get you close. Just dissolve into your RO water with top offs.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom