Kalk and ionic balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a real need to keep ionic balance in a kalk only additive situation? I don't like to buffer my tank unless needed, however I can't find any real answers (not like there are any in this hobby) anywhere. I have an average CA of 450 - 500ppm and an average dKH of 8.5 to 9. Any attempts in the past to buffer the tank to ionic balance just show a days worth of results and then the dKH trends back out to 8.5 to 9. I drip 1G of kalk every 24 hours, my PH stays fluxs between 8.4 at peak and 8.15 in the early morning hours. So anyone out there have anything they can tell me?

Is there a real need to keep ionic balance in a kalk only additive situation?

This is kinda confusing. There is a need for keeping an ionic balance in your tank, the kalk is an ionically balanced solution, this makes maintaining an ionic balance a little more easy, but there is still a need to bump either the CA or the ALK from time to time as they are not used up equally.

I'd say your tank is..."close enough", there is no "perfect" numbers and trying to attain the "perfect" ionic balance is like beating your head against a wall.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Well, that at least makes me feel better. LoL my saltwater reservoir is balanced at 600ppm CA and 33dKH, my weekly 5% water changes help get the dKH up, but it really doesn't boost it as much as you would think being that high, its actually under 1meq/l in change right after my water change. I just hate to add reef builder and stuff like that if it can be avoided.

Back
Top Bottom