Kalk and liquid calcium questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got some kalk and liquid calcium for my tank and I'm looking for the best way to dose it?
the Liquid calcium i figured I'd add to a waterchange.
the kalk I'll have to drip.
My CA is at 300 ish in my tank and I know my snails could use it.
my KH is still high around 150, should I just leave it at that?
What other uses does kalk have? It causes PO4 to precipitate right?
I have a bit of cyano now but nothing major. Coralline is coming along nicely! Even have it in my skimmer and on the glass now!

Or am I wrong and I should just leave it?

arminkropp said:
I just got some kalk and liquid calcium for my tank and I'm looking for the best way to dose it?
the Liquid calcium i figured I'd add to a waterchange.
the kalk I'll have to drip.
My CA is at 300 ish in my tank and I know my snails could use it.
my KH is still high around 150, should I just leave it at that?
Your alk level is just fine but you really need to work on that Ca level. Adding the CaCl to the water changes isn't going to be enough unless you do several water changes over a weeks times or so. You'll need to dose it daily (or 2x/day) to get the level up to a balance otherwise. At 3 mEq/l alk (150 ppm), balanced Ca is 420 ppm. Total liquid CaCl needed will be about 200 ml if that's all you use. The "tweeked" water changes would be much much easier. Just be sure it's well aged/aerated before use.

What other uses does kalk have? It causes PO4 to precipitate right?
I have a bit of cyano now but nothing major. Coralline is coming along nicely! Even have it in my skimmer and on the glass now!
Kalk should only be used with balanced chemistry. Onced you get the Ca up to where it should be the kalk will help maintain it. Just keep in mind it raises both alk & Ca equally, it should never be used to correct an imbalance.

It will help with PO4 as well as precipitating metals from the water. Helps maintain pH and as mentioned CaCO3 dependant organisms. Great all 'round product when used correctly.

Cheers
Steve

I use a two parter in my SW reservoir so that when i change water its up around 11 DKH and 440 ppm CA. I change out a 7G bucket a week and this helps keep things in line or helps to bring up declining numbers. When I have to bring numbers up I use either a buffer for CA or ALK or I dose 1ml/gal of a two parter over about 4 hours testing each hour until im back in relative balance. Once I hit the magic numbers I then resume kalk dosing. I wouldn't recommend dosing kalk while making adjustments because IMO it makes it a little more complicated to tell what the buffers are doing if your testing as you go.
Unfortunately CA and ALK dosing is not my strong suit when it comes to reef keeping in general so I struggle with it a bit myself.

So whats the best way to dose the CaCl to my tank?
Add it straight in or mix with a liter or so of water first?
One the bottle is says one capful daily :?
also what amount should I dose?
Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time adding anything of the sort to my tank and I just want to get it right. :wink:

If adding to the tank, you can simpley pour the required dose for that period into a high flow area. It does not need to be diluted in RO but it won't hurt it either. How much to add would be about 10 ml per day (or twice a day) but that will take you a while to fix that way.

I would honestly suggest tweeking your saltmix when you prepare it for water changes. Two or three 20% water changes over the next week will fix it much faster and much less hassle. When you get closer to the level desired, you can do the rest straight from the bottle.

What brand did you get?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom