Kalk causing surface film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently setup an auto-topoff system which is absolutely wonderful. Then I got the idea to mix Kalkwasser into the topoff water. Everything is going fine except for this white-ish film on the surface of the aquarium. There was no such film before and I do have surface agitation (which is why there was no film before). But now I guess my surface agitation just isn't enough to overcome this.

Is this to be expected? Common with kalk? Solutions? As my topoff water container runs dry I'll try refilling it with a more dilute solution of kalk to see if that helps.

How are you adding he kalk? You shouldnt be adding the kalk that falls out of solution. If you can adjust your kalk pickup hose to be about 1" from the bottom of the container that way the precip can collect at the bottom till its cleaned out.

Are you only dripping the clear limewater and avoiding the precip on the bottom as well as the film at the surface?

The pump for my topoff is picking up the water at maybe 1/4" to 1/2" off the bottom. Sounds like I just need to raise that by a 1/2" or so to avoid it picking up the bottom precip. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

What you are seeing is percipatate. the kalk is being drawn out by co2 in the air. Aggitating the surface will only cause more of the kalk to percipatate. A little trick to help you would be to grab some bubble wrap and place it on the surface of the kalk, this will not allow co2 to come into contact with the kalk. It should stay in place until the bucket is empty.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom