Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok then the fix for the phosphates would be? More water changes... Carbon which I am not a fan of. ... Or waiting for the scrubber to become more established correct?

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
Ok then the fix for the phosphates would be? More water changes... Carbon which I am not a fan of. ... Or waiting for the scrubber to become more established correct?
None of the above.

You need to figure out where its coming from. Water changes will bump it down but it will return if you dont fix the source. Carbon will not rid your phosphates, and your scrubber may never be able to remove the phosphates faster then they are being introduced.

What is your maintenance, stock, tank size, and what and how much do you feed?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

30 gallon pwc a week. 180 gallon tank . Porc puffer and emp angel and I feed every day a decent amount for the puff. Filtration is 2 1400 gph and a 1050 koralia with a 950 gph return. Reef Octo diablo skimmer 18by12 scrubber. Ok but if my scrubber is using nitrates and phosphates to grow algae on the screen how does that not affect algae growing elsewhere?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
30 gallon pwc a week. 180 gallon tank . Porc puffer and emp angel and I feed every day a decent amount for the puff. Filtration is 2 1400 gph and a 1050 koralia with a 950 gph return. Reef Octo diablo skimmer 18by12 scrubber. Ok but if my scrubber is using nitrates and phosphates to grow algae on the screen how does that not affect algae growing elsewhere?
What is a decent amount?

Because you have .25 ppm available phosphates in the water column, along with nitrates. Its not restricted to growing in your algae scrubber by any means.

If your levels where 0 then yes you could expect most if not all algae to grow in the scrubber. Any new nitrate/phosphate import would quickly be taken up by the algae scrubber. Or at least that is the intent.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nls and algae sheets for the angel in the am . For the puffer at night he gets a cube of spiralina brine or jumbo mysis about the size of a cube, cube of mussels, fresh clam, fresh table shrimp piece, or a cray. Not all that in a day lol but that's the whole weeks diet basically . What if stuff is accumulating because my ph aren't set up right ? Would that cause the phosphate issues? I ask because I just tinkered with them and I have a decent amount of particles flying off rocks now.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nls and algae sheets for the angel in the am . For the puffer at night he gets a cube of spiralina brine or jumbo mysis about the size of a cube, cube of mussels, fresh clam, fresh table shrimp piece, or a cray. Not all that in a day lol but that's the whole weeks diet basically . What if stuff is accumulating because my ph aren't set up right ? Would that cause the phosphate issues? I ask because I just tinkered with them and I have a decent amount of particles flying off rocks now.
Whats your ph?

But not sure what you think ph has to do with nutrient accumulation.

Also exactly how did you 'tinker' with it?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Power heads lol not ph sorry shism
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Power heads lol not ph sorry shism
Lol that explains it.

But yes your skimmer will only work as efficiently as your flow. If everything is not staying suspended then it can not be removed by your nice skimmer. Instead it rotting in your display on and under the rocks as well as in your sand bed.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok cool . Could that have been my underlying problem ? Like an indirect cause of the phosphates and cyano ?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok cool . Could that have been my underlying problem ? Like an indirect cause of the phosphates and cyano ?
Indirectly yes. I would think about getting another powerhead or two. With a FoWLR there is really no limit to flow. At at less then 30x turnover you have that is lower then whats recommended for most reefs.

Im sure you have a number of low flow or dead spots that could be eliminated.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com