Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Kalkwasser for cyano

I read the article here about topping of with kalkwasser / ro mix to battle cyano. Can anyone explain what this does and the correct way to do it without harming the tank inhabitants?

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
I read the article here about topping of with kalkwasser / ro mix to battle cyano. Can anyone explain what this does and the correct way to do it without harming the tank inhabitants?
Cyno is a sign of bad water quality temporary fixes wont solve the root of the problem what you need to do is water changes and more waterflow if you dont have refugium that might be something you wanna invest in the future how bad is the cyno??

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Cyno is a sign of bad water quality temporary fixes wont solve the root of the problem what you need to do is water changes and more waterflow if you dont have refugium that might be something you wanna invest in the future how bad is the cyno??
And maybe try running some carbon
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The cyano is gone in the morning when lights come on but pops back up by the end of the day. I had 20 -40 ppm nitrates 2 month ago and for the past month trates are at 4 ppm . I'm using an algae scrubber so it's only a matter of time until the cyano is gone for good but I just want to help it along . Carbon isn't an option for me since I don't use anything but water and salt in my tank . Thanks edit I have covered everything as far as increasing flow and water quality is concerned that's why I finally made a thread about it because I am stumped .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

O and I have changed over 200 gallons of water since 6 / 22
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The cyano is gone in the morning when lights come on but pops back up by the end of the day. I had 20 -40 ppm nitrates 2 month ago and for the past month trates are at 4 ppm . I'm using an algae scrubber so it's only a matter of time until the cyano is gone for good but I just want to help it along . Carbon isn't an option for me since I don't use anything but water and salt in my tank . Thanks edit I have covered everything as far as increasing flow and water quality is concerned that's why I finally made a thread about it because I am stumped .
Rather than scrub it , use a turkey vaster ad suck it out , it's a bacteria so a lil bit will continue to reproduce if there is a food source. Get your nitrate s to 0.00 if you can and suck up as much as possible, the less food and the less amount of bacteria should die off , since you dont want to use carbon or GFO try adding some cheato in your tank if you dot have a refuge . It will help suck up nitrates and phosphates and will help pods grow as well . I have some in a back corner with some light getting to it , and a powerhead input basically inside the ball so it pulls water through the cheato, turning it into a filter of sorts . I have noticed a boom in my pod growth !
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so even if it's a fish only tank I still need 0 trates to keep cyano away? Also I cant keep cheato it will die in my tank with my algae scrubber. The scrubber produces 1-2 lbs of wet algae a week which in all honesty should have take care of the cyano by now.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok so even if it's a fish only tank I still need 0 trates to keep cyano away? Also I cant keep cheato it will die in my tank with my algae scrubber. The scrubber produces 1-2 lbs of wet algae a week which in all honesty should have take care of the cyano by now.
Algae scrubbers are not fixes.

What are your phosphates. And yes regardless of fish only or reef, algae and cyano can grow with any nitrates and phosphates.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I didn't say it was a fix it is one of my chosen filtration methods and by far the best thing I have done for my tank .I was just stating that I shouldn't have algae issues with an established scrubber. Phosphates are . 25
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I didn't say it was a fix it is one of my chosen filtration methods. Phosphates are . 25
.25 is your problem. Way high as far as cyano/algae growth is concerned. Phosphate levels of .02ppm is acceptable. Which os pretty much unreadable on many kits. So 0.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com