Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-11-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
Points are well taken. I appreciate that. The thing I hear in all of this is not a question of Kalk or Oceans blend. I mentioned earlier that I use Oceans Blend. also I mentioned I have not seen any ill effects. I also, gave the information off of the bottle. I did not say anything bad about Kalk, I just said you can't get all of the trace elements by just dosing Kalk. I also mentioned the ups and downs I have read, of Cal and Alk problems related to use of Kalk. Not that it is bad. You have valid points in your comments just as I have. You say you recommend the use of 2 part additives for small tanks, why not large? What is the difference? less to more? Personally, it sounds to me that everytime I try to talk or share my experience with Oceans Blend, it gets shot down in flames. I do not appreciate that.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:36 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Personally, it sounds to me that everytime I try to talk or share my experience with Oceans Blend, it gets shot down in flames.
Well, I can't help you there. I have never said anything bad about Oceans blend, nor have I disparaged anyone for using it, nor have I seen anyone on this forum disparage anyone for using it. I specifically said it would work. You said in your first post, you have read horror stories about kalk, this begs the question...have you ever used it? In my first post, I posted first hand info, did you? The "horror stories" is a negative connotation that is not deserved. I am very happy that you are pleased with your additive, I encourage you to recommend it if you feel it is a good product. Through out this thread I have said a 2 part additive will work, I said flat out Oceans Blend would work, I said they have been popular for years, but I do not use them. That is not shooting it down in flames. As for my last post...I addressed points in your post. I did not say anything bad about the product, I tried to point out that the manner in which you are using it may have flaws.

You say you recommend the use of 2 part additives for small tanks, why not large?
Money. Two part additives will kill you in the long run on a larger tank. For a larger tank I would recommend a CA reactor or a kalk reactor.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
you have read horror stories about kalk, this begs the question...have you ever used it?
I did buy some of the Kent Marines brand and used it and I guess I just didn't do it right or whatever that may be, but just as I read, when I did, I seemed to have a problem with Alkalinity and that is when I went to the LFS and they recommended Oceans Blend. The owner showed me his tank and exclaimed he had been using 2 part additives for a long time. (How long of time I don't remember). he had a lot of beautiful corals in the tank. I have been using it since. It has been 3 months and it seems ok for now. I will let you know in 6 - 18 months from now.
I appologize for the hot headedness. I am definately no match for you guys, you have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

I really don't see why you say it is more expensive though, it is only $30 for 2 gal of the stuff, and when you add up the cost of all of the seperate chemicals, it seems to me it would be more expensive the other route, even with a larger tank.

I do agree that a Cal reactor would be cool and less expensive in the long run, but with a tank smaller than 100 gal, I do not see it as an economical solution. The startup costs are coming down, but are still a little steep. however, that is initial $ and not long run $.

Old 04-12-2003, 06:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just ordered some oceans blend .Im going to give the 2 gal. a try.I'v been dosing w/ kalkwasser ,I just dont like the little dinky doser I bought .dont think I dosing enough.Im not taking any sides Ill let everyone know how it works out.now and make nice.
150 gal. reef ,with small community fish ,80 gal.fw tank with ciclids and 35 gal. hospital tank with 1 sea horse
kwtowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #15
I emailed the company and aked questions. Below is the reply from Russell at Oceans Blend.

I believe he is reitterating what RR and FF say about the additive and the effects.

Reply-To: <sales@oceansblend.com>
To: Tim
Subject: Re: The toxicity or over abundance of trace elements

Yes today there has been alot of debate on trace element additions. I believe that the closer you make your system to the ocean then the better results you get. Yes you will in time elivate your elements higher an higher. Skimmers,water changes and carbon have been suggested in helping keeping these elements in line. In the 5 yrs I have been using the two part that I make and have not seen any negative effects. I add 1 ml per gal per day and have even tried 1500 ml in two days on a 300 gal system. All the corals looked as good as ever. The lack of spawning has also been brought up due to excess trace elements. I have a freind that has been using my two part for 5 yrs also and just reported his leather spawned. The best advice anyone has given on this subject is to look at your corals and see if they like it. They are the ultimate test kit and judge of what is right for them. As far as percipitating phosphate it is done by the split second you add your chemicals. It may not be alot but is not needed if proper tank care is given. I hope this helps answer your questions.

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:13:46 -0400

>I am writing this email to hopefully get some clarifications and rectify
>some statements that have been made in several forums on the internet.
>I have been using Oceans Blend for about 3 months now, and recommend it to
>anyone that asks for an easier way to maintain levels within their Saltwater
>Aquarium. The questions I have are, after using OB everyday, (I use 15ml of
>each part per day on a 55 gal aquarium), should I be worried about toxicity
>over the course of time with excess trace elements that aren't being used
>up? Would it cause problems? I take on a 5% water change every 2

>Thank you,

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com