Kalkwasser tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I have had my kalk up and running for a week. All is going great, the only problem I am having is my 1/4" tubing outflow. When I started I had the tubing a 1/4" above the water line to make sure of the flow rate. I then submerged it to right infront of a PH. Now it gets a buildup of whats looks like SW creep, which can't be since its underwater. I have to clear it then the solution flows again, is this normal? My 1 gal does go in a 24 hr period if this buildup doesn't happen otherwise it doesn't flow, whats up

So there is a build up inside the tube?

Is this build up above th water line. If it is then it could very well be salt creep. I would maybe position it so its still above the water level and over the powerheads spot. No real need to have it exit right in the PH stream of water.

Yes the buildup is at the point of exit of the solution tube, so it is okay to have it exit above the waterline? That is where I have had no problems with the buildup. I read that the solution should not be exposed to air, that is why I put it in the water.

Sounds like dried Kalk to me, mine get's crusty, I just clean it out every now and again and run some vinegar through it once per month or two.

I use a piece of styrofoam to keep the end of the tubing out of the water. This also stops the flow if the water level gets too high and increases the flow if it gets too low.

This is a picture of my sump from the top. The styrofoam is the square at the top center of the pic and the tubing comes from underneath and through the middle of the styrofoam block.

Here's the Kalk setup. The back bucket uses a toilet float to control the water flow. I keep a 1/2 pound or so of Calcium hydroxide in the bottom and refresh it once a month or when I notice it's used up. When the water level drops enough the valve opens and pressurized water enters and stirs up the Calcium hydroxide.

The two buckets are connected using airline tubing. The second bucket (in front) is used to catch any precipitate caused by impurities in the water or in the Calcium hydroxide. This bucket is completely full and sealed. The bucket connects to the sump through the side via more airline tubing and into the styrofoam block.

As the water level in the sump falls the limewater drips into the sump. There is no siphon, it's all gravity fed.

The second use for the styrofoam is if the water level in the sump gets too high it will not backflow into my limewater and ruin it. I require this feature because I have a pair of 32 gallon surge devices on my lagoon that sometimes both go off at the same time adding about 50 gallons to the system within a few seconds.

Bang,

I wish I could actually see this thing. I would love to set it up, but reading about it and then doing it...I guess my brain doesnt work that way.

Back
Top Bottom