Kalupa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyoene heard of this filter media? I went to my firneds house last night in san clemente and her father is in the process of istalling a ressed 900 gallon reef. :twisted: OMG. It is made of inch and a half acrylic and is the most amazing thin I have ever seen. Needless to say my frinds father had money to burn.

Anyways, while I was there the guy who is constructing it happened to be there and we started talking. We got on the topic of filtration and he started preaching to me about this clay media called KALUPA. He was telling me that after 6 weeks he can introduce corals, anenomes, and basically any bio load he wants. He said in six weeks he will have coralline growth that takes conventioal tanks 6 months to achieve. Well I must admit he sold me and unless someone gives me a hands down reason not to try this media I am doing it all the way. The way I look at it if he is willing to use it in my friends dads 900 gallon tank, his 3-300 g tanks, and all of his customers(he was the owner of a aquarium maintenece company) , it is worth consideration.

I may be pronouncing it wrong, but he said it was invented by some chinese chemist and it is huge in Europe and asia. It is slowly coming to the states.

Anyone of Kalupa?

BTW once my friend s tank is up and running I am goin to post pics. Also I will let you know what his results are with the KALUPA.

J

ANYBODY who says they have the miracle media that will support ANY bio-load after only six weeks... has just GOT to be a snake oil seller. (Nothing against snakes in that.) Maybe somebody on here in their umpteen thousand postings has come across this media, but I haven't heard of it, and I would be pretty leary of anybody running a full bioload after only six weeks. It's not the media which dictates the growth of algae and the functions of all those good little bacteria. Just my 02cents... if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

I understand your point, but the way I look at it if he is willing to use it for such an expensive system it merits consideration. I mean my friends dad is spending 30-40k on his setup, do you think someone would trust a media that didnt work? I wouldnt want to piss off someone who spent that kind of money on my services. BTW the guy who is building the tank actually works for my friends dad full time, he has his aquarium company on the side. So there is a relationship there I dont think he would want to mess up by thoughing him false promises. Trust me I am a little suspicious too. I will post the results for sure.
j

The friend might of had a fluke experience and it may have worked for them but it sounds a little weird to me. I would be a little worried about someone who said those things. Time and patience will be key not some miracle media.HTH.

As stated earlier...bio-load and coralline growth are two completely different things. Did the guy also try to sell you a bridge? This guy is shooting you a line. As for your friends dad. If he is believing everything this guy is telling him ...As Thomas Tusser said "A fool and his money are soon parted" Any chance he is talking about putting mud and calupra in the fuge?

wonder if it's that stuff the japanese use for their koi ponds that is sposed to be super at biological bacteria growth and great filtration media...

<shrug>

all I know is he told me it was created by some japenes guy and it is big in europe, he did say it was used in KOI ponds as well( he services those too). I am getting the number of the guy form my frient to get specifics of where I can buy it. I mean he was talking about not even having sand in the tank. It was some pretty interesting stuff. I am definately going to wait until I see the results. By the time the tank should be fully mature I will be ready to fill mine.(3 months)

Jeff

Sounds interesting but I don't see how it could possibly increase the bacterial growth rate. My father-in-law is one of the most respected biologists/entomologist and bacteriologists in the vast state of Texas. He says (in most cases) there is nothing you can do to increase the process of cell division, except, increase the temperature which is usually detrimental to your reef fish. There are also lots of things to slow down the growth. He also says excess nutrients will speed up the growth of nitrifying bacteria but usually at the expense of some other tank inhabitant. He told me the green slime algae is actually bacteria colonies and not beneficial but the blue/green algae is the good/beneficial stuff.

At any rate, as someone mentioned, it sounds like "snake-oil".

BTW - was it a "chinese chemist" or "some japenes guy" ???

BTW - I googled "kalupa filter media" and it came back with hundreds of mostly foreign language websites. Maybe there is discussion out there on the stuff just not in English.

I understand all your points. I did think it was kind of wierd he tried to sell me AMWAY :oops: I am starting to second guess the purchase :wink: Good times, I will keep you all in the loop.

And in regards to whether or not he is chinese or Japenese, I dont remeber. He was oriental lol.

j

Back
Top Bottom