Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Despite the added concerns about kalk dosing, the benefits are well worth it. It's cheap, if you buy food grade lime and highly effective at keeping your Ca & Alk at ideal all the time. It even helps keep phosphates in check! With proper research & implementation, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just started dosing kalk the day before yesterday. started with 1 teaspoon per gallon. I mixed it thoroughly before adding it to the ato reservoir but now theres white stuff on the bottom of the reservoir tank. Should I remix it or is that normal? I read somewhere that it happens but not sure....

And how long until I see results? I havent tested yet today so I don't know if it's working or not. lol I did check my ph and that seems to have stabilized at 8.3. It was dipping as low as 7.8

any help or further guidance would be very cool.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your dosing via ATO, results should be instantaneous. You will either see a decreased daily consumption of Ca or, ideally, a constant value. Tweak as necessary. Keep in mind, lime is a better maintenance dose than a raising dose.

One of the benefits of lime is that it purifies itself after mixing. That layer on the bottom is trace impurities that have precipitated and settled. I clean it out every few batches; it won't dissolve back into the water, do its safe in your container as long as you don't pump it into your tank.

Another side note: if you mix lime into salt water directly, instead of RO water first, it will cause a precipitation snowstorm of Ca & other beneficial elements.

Good luck & keep posting.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks so much Mike.

I had adjusted my alk and calcium before dosing so it was at a level I liked. 450 on the CA and 8.3 on the alk.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tested calcium today and it was at 370 :-( alkalinity was at 7.8 I believe. So this is after a few days and I'm guessing I need to up the dose? maybe try 1.5 teaspoons per gallon?

Not sure how to raise my calcium, can I use calcium chloride while dosing kalk to get back to a good starting point?

Also, been reading some more on all this and I've read that you can stir the reservoir water but that you can't dose with it for at least an hour after it was last disturbed. Isn't that the job of a kalk stirrer, to keep it saturated with the chemical?

Any help you can guys, only so much on the internet and it's all getting jumbled in my head. LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the reactor has a constant stirring motion then you can run the reactor continuously. However, some reactors have a pump and use timers to turn on and off. These create a slurry that sits on the water. That must settle out so only the lime water remains - takes about an hour between rapid stir and settling. As long as you have continuous stirring, the saturation will be good.

Never actually done it, but that's what I hear!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long have you been dosing now? What were your readings immediately prior to starting?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's only been a few days. I started with 450 calcium and alk was at 9.3.

I was just planning on testing again in a few minutes to see where i am at. will post that when I'm done.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The best reference on the Internet is the Randy Holmes Farley articles on Advanced Aquarist.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So this morning my my alk is at 8.56 adn the calcium is at 400 per ssalifert test. I added some liquid calcium last night so I guess it upped the calcium a little bit.

Still looks like I am loosing dkh though even with the kalk.

When I mix the kalk with ro/di water in a separate bucket how long should I mix for before adding to my ATO reservoir? I do have a layer of white on the bottom of that ato reservoir and a slimy coating on top of the water. if I mix that all up and let it sit an hour before I start pumping it into the sump would I get better kalk saturation?

Bear with me and my silly questions, just learning all this stuff lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com