Kalwasser Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still loosing dkh and calcium even at 2 teaspoons of Kalk. :-( I'm not sure what i am doing wrong.....

I've never had a hard core reef, not yet anyways :), but can't a magnesium deficiency cause this? Do you test or dose magnesium?

I just tested mag a few minutes ago and yep, it was low at 1150....I don't dose mag though...

Could be the Mg, FYI 500mL of Kent Tech M would bring you up to 1350ppm dosed over 2-3 days.

How coral heavy is your tank? What kind of lime are you using?

I doubt the brand has anything to do with it though.

Are you:
-Mixing 2 tsp/gal RO water
-Mixing well & settling for about an hour
-Dosing from a relatively airtight container
-Storing no more than a few weeks mixed at a time

I've heard you can mix vinegar in to increase the saturation level beyond 2 tsp/gal, but I've never done it do can't really advise it.

It could be your tank has a higher demand than the lime can add; but your levels should be more steady than it was before kalk ATO.

The only thing above that I'm not doing is dosing from an airtight container. I am using a 10g tank for my ATO reservoir.

I've got about 30 corals ranging from shrooms up to sps. Some corals are quite large...

1150ppm isn't really that low. Doubt that is the problem. Wouldn't hurt to raise it though. You must be pretty heavily stocked. So I'm guessing once your at two teaspoons your at saturation? Would u be able to go higher with a kalk stirer?

I'm gonna try to go get some magnesium this week, it's usually at about 1250-1300, this is the first time it has dipped this low.

Try raising your mag to 1350 and keep it stable around there. Also keep in mind that kalk isn't used to up the levels of alk and calcium. It is merely used to help keep the levels replenished through out the week and in between dosing. If your tank is heavily stocked with corals then even at saturation the kalk won't be able to keep up with the needs of the coral and you'll still have to dose alk and calcium. I would suggest a simple 2 part dosing system. BRS sells a kit that's fairly cheap.

I'm still loosing dkh and calcium even at 2 teaspoons of Kalk. :-( I'm not sure what i am doing wrong.....
You aren't doing anything wrong. Your demand just can't be met by kalk alone. That's basically why I stopped using it. For me it's just easier to do daily doses of the DIY 2-part calcium and alk supplements.

Lime loses some potency with contact to air, sorry I didn't think of this earlier when you mentioned the tank.

I have the chemicals for 2 part, I used them to get my levels to the point I wanted them at then I started the kalk. I didnt start the kalk until my levels were at 10 dkh, 450 calcium and 1300 mag.

Back
Top Bottom