Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
My solution is to place the bottom half of a Tronic Heater Guard over the intake. It's small enough not to be too ugly and the color is black so it blends in.

If you wake up breathing CONGRATULATIONS!!! You get another chance to do it right.
Bang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
i lost an anemone this way. it was painful becuase he was still alive when i found him. he was completely mangled. all tentacles were sucked in. ive found that the best way to avoid suction death is by using screen mesh (like the kind on your windows that keeps bugs out) i purchased it from a hardware store, and then tested it with pieces of chopped squid i use to feed my animals. i found that the suction still pulls the animal up against the intake, but the screen holes are too small and the animal usually just stays like that, with no escape until you find him. i think this is the best method for preventing almost certain death. the mesh needs only to be wrapped around the intake and then tightened with either rubber band, twine, or nylon string.

120 Gallon Tank undergoing restoration process
klubvibez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
i agree with klub there.. i think anemones have more of a death wish more so than inverts.. i lost two anemones to ph's.. very messy and ammonia heaven..! had to do 50 % water changes 3 times over 5 days to get rid of the mess.. if the mesh over the hole doesnt work for u or u dont like it.. the only way to prevent this from happening, unfortunately is not to have any

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

inverts, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com