keeping Jellyfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zaku999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I am always fascinated by jellyfish, i really thought they looks too alien! haha!

my lfs has some blue and red jellyfish, 1.5 inches big only, quite small. i think they live on plankton

has anyone has experienced keeping jellyfish? thks!

Jellies have to be kept in a round enviroment or they will get caught in a corner and die. My lfs keeps them in those plastic round goldfish bowls set in the tanks.

Are there some sort of rounding devices you could put on the corners of your tank?

..what an intriguing idea!

the other issue is PH and overflows tend to cause problems for jellys since they really cant swim too well and just sorta drift, they'll get sucked in easly and then you can make jelly to put on ur crabby patty LOL jk
the round part can be over comed by directing enough flow to the corners but you will have to watch them

Yes you can modify a tank to make a kreisel but it isn't easy. Details on how to do it are here http://jellieszone.com/captivejellies.htm

They are VERY difficult to keep. You also need a chiller and another tank breeding LIVE plankton.

Some people have had success with enriched brine shrimp (as brine shrimp on their own are not very nutritious). That means you need to have your own phytoplankton station so that you can enrich the rotifers. Then you can then feed the enriched rotifers to the brine shrimp to have enriched brine shrimp.

I don't want to discourage anyone, however I request that you do a lot of research and then decide if it is worth it to you.

Holy cow, Mantis, that is some serious information - Kudos to you.

In all honesty, I wouldn't want to keep a jellyfish long term -- but after reading that article I don't think one would last 2 days in a reef tank, let alone a FOWLR or even a FO system.

I'd probably drop one in (after a long acclimation as they seem to simply dissolve when dropped right in...) simply for photographic reasons... take a picture or two, observe, and see how long it lives... or rather, how long it takes to get sucked into the overflow. 8O .... but then there is always the problem of locating a supplier :p

Definitely seems to be another creature best left in the ocean. :(

(*cough* :cry: with their limitless surface area :cry: *cough*)

Glad to help....IMO, you saved some money and time as well as some jellyfish. Win...win situation.

As you can tell from my name, I also keep some odd critters that a lot of people don't like (mostly by believing old wives tales). Mantis also have some special needs and I'm willing to deal with those needs. Luckily, I've done a lot of research and their needs are a lot easier to deal with than jellyfish.

Hi guys! thanks for the webpages and advice!

Actually when i first started this hobby, I am only interested to keep non-fish creatures like cuttlefish, jellyfish and plenty of exotic crabs!

But it seems these creatures are still best left in the sea for appreciating!
0X

Back
Top Bottom