Keeping Mixed Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if you can keep different type of Speices of Clown Fish? WIll they fight or, Will they be friends? Let me know which ones are good to have together and which ones to stay away from.....
Thanks

Just wondering if you can keep different type of Speices of Clown Fish? WIll they fight or, Will they be friends? Let me know which ones are good to have together and which ones to stay away from.....
Thanks

Nope. The larger will eventually kill the smaller one after fighting continuously.

"Aggression between different species of clowns is sexually charged and juvenile fish can get along fine for a few months until they hit sexual maturity, as the presence of another clown in the tank, wether their own species or not, triggers the urge to reproduce and they will not hybridise. Therefore they may be fine for months and then you switch the lights on one day and find one or both dead."

Nope. The larger will eventually kill the smaller one after fighting continuously.

"Aggression between different species of clowns is sexually charged and juvenile fish can get along fine for a few months until they hit sexual maturity, as the presence of another clown in the tank, wether their own species or not, triggers the urge to reproduce and they will not hybridise. Therefore they may be fine for months and then you switch the lights on one day and find one or both dead."

I guess I'll have to go buy another Ocellaris Clown the I hate seeing them not together... Thanks Chisel

Trust me, I wish the same thing but it just cant be done. Maybe in a quite larger set up to where there is a guarantee they will never run into eachother. Come ot think of it, at my LFS's, they dont even put them beside eachother in seperate tanks.

Trust me, I wish the same thing but it just cant be done. Maybe in a quite larger set up to where there is a guarantee they will never run into eachother. Come ot think of it, at my LFS's, they dont even put them beside eachother in seperate tanks.

Yeah I notice that yesterday.... When I was there they had them all in seperate tanks Well I probably get one more and go on from there.....

:new-alien:

Watching a mated pair of clownfish is really cool they pal around like buddies and hang out swimming together in circles. I had a mated pair but 1 ended up in my overflow box and died.

Watching a mated pair of clownfish is really cool they pal around like buddies and hang out swimming together in circles. I had a mated pair but 1 ended up in my overflow box and died.

Yes, Try to find a mated pair Frank. they will be of the same species but like figi said, they are fun to watch.

By the way Figi....how was the concert?

I have a tomato clown and a GSM and they have fought for 8 yrs now. Not to the death but they did not like each other. If it wasnt for a 6 ft tank I would have gotten rid of one of them.

I have a tomato clown and a GSM and they have fought for 8 yrs now. Not to the death but they did not like each other. If it wasnt for a 6 ft tank I would have gotten rid of one of them.

Yeah.... length I believe does make a difference....

i have a 65 gallon set up and i have two mated black clowns and 1 maroon clown... they dont fight and the maroon is a female and obviously the bigger one of the blacks is a female as well.. very very little aggression so it is possible without a doubt

I have a black and and orange occi. I introduced them at the same time as juviniles. They were the first fish I put into my 90 gal tank. They paired up immediatly and have done so for 6 months now. They are rarely more than 6" appart.

I did ALOT of research before doing this. I knew it was a good possibility that they would not get along, but they did - and still do.

Sometimea it just depends on the situation and the fish. You just never know. My yellow tang is the head of the pecking order in my tank, but will back off of a clip of nori to let the black occi get a nibble in - then resume his eating.

Back
Top Bottom