Keeping more than one tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it okay to keep more than one tang in the same tank?
I have a 125 gallon and my wife wants 3-4 different types of tangs. Can they all be kept in the same tank ?

Depending on which tangs you want, yes you can have 3 if you add them at the same time. Research the particular tangs you want to get as some need a tank bigger than a 125.

My wife and I were looking at the power blue tang, power brown tang and the Achilles tang. Can those three be kept in the same 125 ?

The three Tangs you have mentioned are all from the genus Acanthurus. Typically it is not advisable to keep Tangs from the same genus together because their body shape is similar, and they see this as a threat. Adding them at the same time may help with this...temporarily, but most likely not solve the problem, long-term. Sometimes it can work, but most times it doesn't.
When mixing Tangs, it is usually best to avoid similar body types and similar colorations among them. Picking them from different genus's usually works best.
As far as the "Powder tangs", they are more prone to parasites than other tangs, for some reason. Tangs in general are already prone to ich, these Tangs are even worse.
For the Achilles, these are considered a difficult fish to keep because they usually don't do very well in average systems. They are basically considered expert only, and do best in very large, established tanks.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think those 3 Tangs, in a 125, would fair well.

Flreefer said:
The three Tangs you have mentioned are all from the genus Acanthurus. Typically it is not advisable to keep Tangs from the same genus together because their body shape is similar, and they see this as a threat. Adding them at the same time may help with this...temporarily, but most likely not solve the problem, long-term. Sometimes it can work, but most times it doesn't.
When mixing Tangs, it is usually best to avoid similar body types and similar colorations among them. Picking them from different genus's usually works best.
As far as the "Powder tangs", they are more prone to parasites than other tangs, for some reason. Tangs in general are already prone to ich, these Tangs are even worse.
For the Achilles, these are considered a difficult fish to keep because they usually don't do very well in average systems. They are basically considered expert only, and do best in very large, established tanks.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think those 3 Tangs, in a 125, would fair well.

Thank you so much for the advise. :)

My three tangs
6218-albums6891-picture31662.jpg

Stephen Rollins said:
Thank you so much for the advise. :)

No prob, Stephen...here's a pic of my 2 Tangs with my Copperband Butterfly.
Best of luck selecting your fish!!

image-2488441112.jpg

Koles and Yellows are popular choices!

Very good advice

SWSCJ said:
9 tangs....lots of room and feed them well

Wow beautiful what's the white one I recognize them all but the big one unicorn or vangami?

Back
Top Bottom