Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to phantomsk8er5
keeping my manderin

Is it posible to keep a manderin in a 10 gallon tank. If it is then how?

phantomsk8er5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would say no. It is recommended that they have at least 100lbs of LR and are placed in a well established tank(1+year old). Due to the fact that these fish only eat pods a fuge is also a great idea in addition to all the LR.

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I was just reading in "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" that "Depending on the density of rock and invertebrate prey, it may take 30 to 150 gallons to sustain each fish." (Fenner, 2001) So I would so say there is no way that a 10 gallon tank could hold enough LR to support the invertebrate population necessary to feed a mandarin and since most won't accept anything but live foods, leave them until you have a much larger tank.
Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
No, No, No!!!!! Please, please, please do not attempt this... the mandarin will look fine for a few months while he/she is starving to death...

I have a 90 with 150 lbs liverock and a refugium that I have been building for two years now to support a mandarin...

Don't do it!
fernzpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Follow the advice above and do not try this. Early on in my SW experience I fell victim to my whims and purchased one without adequate LR to support it. As stated above it looked great for about 4 months and then just died. Unknown to me at the time I was starving it even though it did occasionally eat some brine.

At least you are in the right place and doing some research first.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com