Keeping Pods..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question. can pods be grown or kept in a 10g tank separately?

I know they occur in established tanks but you can buy them online so can the ones you buy online be used to propagate a tank full?

You all know what the idea is, and usually its more trouble than it's worth but I thought I'd ask. I have a 10g coming up empty soon so I figured why not. LOL

Thanks folks!

You sure can. If you want a higher population of them you have to feed very small amounts of food tho.

So could I basically keep them in the 10g like I would any other fish? They are so small I couldn't filter it though could I? I have a setup with filter, hood, light, heater think this would be enough to raise them?

Thanks for the speedy response I'm really curious what people think :-D

I actually do the exact thing that you are talking about. I have a 10g set up with just some LR and an airstone and some T8s. They breed amazingly!!! I do give them waterchanges about as often as my 225 thought.

I actually do the exact thing that you are talking about. I have a 10g set up with just some LR and an airstone and some T8s. They breed amazingly!!! I do give them waterchanges about as often as my 225 thought.

Do they produce enough for a supplemental food source? How do you do a pwc with them being so small?

thanks so much!

I just pump out 2.5 gallons once a week and replace it with water from my water change.

as far as feeding my tank i normally just change out the couple of pieces of LR with two others like a rotation and use them to supplement the natural population of my fuge..... kinda a booster. I have had a mandarin as well as a red scooter blenny for a while now and both do great.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm still in the planning stage lol. I was thinking bio cube for a mandarin. The lfs has them on frozen food but I wanted to make sure I could supplement his diet with an ongoing supply of pods.

I'm still not sure how you would pwc the tank, don't you loose alot of potential pods? Or can I screen off a the siphon at the end so they don't get sucked up. hehe I'm sorry I'm not getting it

If you just siphon from the middle of the tank you really wont suck too many up... of course you are going to lose a few but when there are no predators in the tank they can reproduce very fast.

Ahh I see now. Thanks for clarifying for me.

i like having this option. Thanks so much, if I do it I'll be sure to post pictures of my mandarin. I LOVE those fish.

I'm thinking of setting up a small copepod tank as well! I wanted some for a stable food source for my future dwarf seahorses. (currently cycling -_-) Do you think a 2 gallon would be too small?

Depends on how much pods they eat. I would only be supplementing the mandarins diet, do seahoreses have other food they eat? You might need alot more than 2 g.

I would feed them twice a day, big appetite but only an inch big lol. I'm starting with 4 but they will definitely reproduce. This might be a bit random but are Copepods and Rotifers the same size? And would the Copepods need heat?

I think the best environment for them would be a setup like a refuge...........
I would do a 10g with about a 3" live sand bed,some live rock,and chaeto cause copods love chaeto....and the deep sand bed cause amphipods like that :)
Shoot I think I'm going to give that a try,lol

hey great idea about the substrate id dint even give that much thought.

I can def make this happen. How much would I need to start ya think? They sell them by like the quart online I think. I forget what my lfs sells them for.

carey said:
Hmm lol I dont know if they are the same . i read that the pods need heat though.
:)

Do they need light? Could I just keep them in a 5-10 gallon bucket with a heater?

I donnt think lights have been mentioned yet. So far a 10g tank, heater, some LR and a deep sandbed.

Yeah I don't know if they need light since they can be found in parts of the ocean that don't get light.......

someone earlier in this thread I think mentioned they actually keep them already. We need him again! LOL

Back
Top Bottom