Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keeping sandbed clean

Any suggestions? I have a lot of snails/hermits etc that have been doing a decent job on the aquarium glass, but my sandbed looks absolutely putrid. Even vacuuming it up in my water changes, while improving it, isn't really keeping it "clean". Lots of what looks like chunks of coralline in there (pink specks, as well as large chunks - I'm guessing those came off during my power failure/temperature drop/tank destruction).

I've had a sleeper goby before and, while he kept the sandbed clean, I have concerns about having enough junk in there for him to eat. My sandbed is relatively shallow (around 1"), and while I can add more I'd really like to get this crap cleaned up first. I see other folks with white sand beds that are sparkling white clean - how are y'all doing it, chemically or am I just not doing enough vacuuming/water changing?

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you keep the glass clean yourself your clean-up crew will focus more on the sand and rocks themselves. Make sure you also arenít introducing any phosphates into the system and you keep the nitrates as low as possible, cyano and algae will definitely show up to feed on that stuff.

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will give that a whirl - if I were, say, to add some live sand/unlive sand to the bed, how long would I want to let that stuff propegate prior to adding anything that's going to rely on the critters within it to eat?

i.e. sleeper or virtually any other sifting goby?

I suspect that a majority of the crud on my sand would be eliminated with better water flow, which is why I have two powerheads on the way (600gph jobbies for a 72 tank).

I'm also being a tad cautious right now - the only fish in the tank currently is a copper banded butterfly to try to get an aiptasia outbreak under control, at which point his delicate *** is going back to the LFS.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Peppermint shrimp might have been a better, and cheaper, choice for aiptasia duty. Anyway, better flow will definitely do a lot to help you clean things up. Iíve got a Hydor Koralia 425 gph pump in my 16 gal tank. I keep it at the top to keep good flow across the top for oxygen exchange. I like to keep at least a 20:1 ratio (gph to gallons) in order to keep things from stagnating. The high flow also keeps the pH more stable.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I tried the pepps - for some reason they're not showing any interest whatsoever in the aiptasia, even after a couple of weeks...even after basically handcuffing the little bastich's to the rock WITH the aiptasia on it

The CBB is pricey which is why its on loan to be returned to the LFS next week some time after he's hopefully taken a bite out of crime
Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL. I guess the only thing you can really count on being true is that you never know how individual fish (or shrimps) are going to behave.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Remove the sand bed i had the same problem finally said i done with it an took it out.. Already getting coraline on bottom glass lookin good.. I put in a spray bar behind the rocks pushes all the detritus to the front just suck it out with weekly water changes..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111117_191223.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	61684  
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know you said you have snails, but have you tried nassarius snails in particular?

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, though I'm adding them slowly...started with just 2...added 4 more today, along with a buncha astrea and margarita snails. My son really loves them, so I'll probably keep adding them a couple at a time until I hit an equilibrium of some kind.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Remove the sand lol... You will really like it when your used to it..

Tags
clean, sand, sandbed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com