Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Keeping sump full

I have had this tank for a long time and i have always wondered what i could do about the sump level.. I fill it up everysunday while i do whater changes through the week it loses so much water it gets really loud from the trickle over the bio balls.. What does everyone else do to keep there sumps quit and water at a good level? The obvious thing would be to add R/O everyday after work. But there has to be something easier becouse i may work 12-14 hrs a day and a few cups of water isnt what im thinking when i get home im thinking wheres the beer.. Any input would be swell

Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thats the only way other than a auto top off unit..

Feelthereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I top my sump off twice a day, about 1/2 g each time almost. I am looking at ato's but I may go with a controller one day and that would take of the top offs.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah,,most of us (including me),,top off once a day ...Only way to avoid it is an ATO,,but heck,,those will need monitoring too,,so just top it off every morning
Currently rebuilding
QTing is a good thing
Grow your filtration
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I keep 2 5g water jugs filled with RO/DI water and just add what i need every night when i get home from work takes a few seconds about 1g a day
bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed after getting my ATO's the corals and fish seem to do a lot better. I use to top off by slowly adding it to the tank and found that it really upset a lot of the leathers and softies.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
I have the JBJ auto top-off connected to a 5 gallon jug of RODI. It usually tops about a little over a gallon a day. So I get about a half week out of the set up before I have to swap out the 5 gallon reservoir.

I now control the tank with an aquacontroller, so I am thinking about ordering the floats and allowing the aquacontroller to do the JBJ's job.

Auto top-offs simply automate the process to make things a little easier.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Its really pretty easy to make a diy top off . I just ordered a couple float switches from auto topoff.com to have a spare, cut a 2"x6" piece plexi glass heat and bend plexi, drill hole for float switch wire into extension cord and plug lifter pump into cord, super easy one of the greatest time savers ive done so far.

Mudzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com