Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have power compact lighting not MH, so I have only a few LPS: anchor coral, mushroom corals, snake polyps, some regular ole boring polyps. Other than that I have the long-tentacled anemone and a couple kinds of macroalgae.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cmor, i didn't see your post before I responded to Doug, great idea on the extra filter. I will do that. I have a sump. I've actually heard of that before, but forgot because I've not really needed to do it so far. This makes sense because I can just put another filter in the sump when I use the current one, just in case I have to use copper. Or, as Doug suggested, hyposalinity. I've never tried that, but I do like the option of not using chemicals. I'm posting pics of my tank, but their in the early morning with only the actinics and camera flash. So don't let the anemone fool you. He really is dinner-plate size, he's just in "I don't wanna get up" mode this early in the morning.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I am fishless at the moment, so you can see why it's important to me to get a good match of fish. I'm starting with a clean slate. It's amazing how your tank can be so beautiful in the sunlight, but take pics with just the actinics when nothing is fully awake yet and they look all icky.

Anyway, the red macroalgae grew from a dark velvety looking patch into what you see there. I have cut it back once already. I can see I'm going to have to manage it. I have a couple other spots where it's growing so I don't want it to overtake the tank. I have that problem with the green macroalgae also.

Anyway, I'm thinking of a regal/hippo tang, a yellow tang, a percula or ocellerous clown, a fairy wrasse of some type (I want a scotts!) and maybe one or two other "not so messy" fish just for variety. I think with those listed above I will have color. What about a cinnamon or tomatoe clown? Any comments on those?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	26499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	26500  

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	26501  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the green stuff is halimeda. emerald crabs seem to like it. i don't like it in my tank because it uses calcium. i'd rather save that for stony corals.
if you still have that red algae in the spring, i'd like to buy some from you. it's too cold to ship cheaply now.

i wouldn't put 2 different species of clownfish together. i have never tried this, but i've heard stories of aggression.

i would stop feeding the kent stuff and the dried plankton. this might help with your rapid algae growth. as far as the bacteria goes, i think if you just didn't do any water changes for the next month, it will be fine.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are a couple pics of my old 55G tank. I has some nice xenia, but dori ate them? I think I am going to get some more coral also. I had a nice colt coral for years, but it eventually just died off. It actually "had a baby" first. A little spot of fuzz that started to grow at it's base.

Any ideas also on coral that I could keep under this lighting would be appreciated. I have a 6' coralife aqualight with 2 X 10,000K daylight and two blue actinic bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8230146.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	26502   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090205.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	26503  

Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

it looks nice and clean but predominantly brown. i'm betting this would change with stronger lighting.
softies like you have pictured will live under that lighting, but i don't think they will reach their potential in terms of color. the same goes with anemones IME.
some LPS might do well under the pc lighting. you could try trumpet corals, wellsophyllia, favia, platygyra ...things like those. if they don't retain color, you could always add some light.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
the green stuff is halimeda. emerald crabs seem to like it. i don't like it in my tank because it uses calcium. i'd rather save that for stony corals.
if you still have that red algae in the spring, i'd like to buy some from you. it's too cold to ship cheaply now.

i wouldn't put 2 different species of clownfish together. i have never tried this, but i've heard stories of aggression.

i would stop feeding the kent stuff and the dried plankton. this might help with your rapid algae growth. as far as the bacteria goes, i think if you just didn't do any water changes for the next month, it will be fine.
If I stop feeding the kent and plankton, what should I dose the tank with? or feed the corals and anemone? I've read that they can eat krill.

If you want the red algae in the spring I'd be happy to ship it to you for just the cost of shipping. I'll PM you my email address and you can remind me in the spring. I hate taking it out and tossing it, I mean, it is alive, but It does grow, well, sorta fast. I don't necessarily like the green stuff, it grows way too fast. I didn't know about the use of calcium, but I'll consider that.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

So would it be best to transition over to metal halides for variety of coral and color? I never liked the predominately brown tank. I'm always looking for color.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, that sounds great. i am considering a display refugium, and would love a hardy, fast growing algae that was any color but green.
the anemone can eat meaty foods, like small pieces of raw shrimp or fish from the supermarket. the corals do not need to be fed and will live fine without adding food to the tank. as a matter of fact, i don't think any corals you have in that tank eat what's in those bottles, except maybe the hammer coral, and that could also be target fed like the anemone. none of those corals need to be fed, ever. they get what they need from photosynthesis.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

T-5s, metal halides, or LEDs are all choices for you.

Tags
bacteria, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com