keeping various clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i've read that keeping different clowns together is not a good idea.

i was at the mall today and they have about a 400 gallon FOWLR and they have about 50 percula clownfish and about 10 skunk clowns and about 10 clarkii clowns. and a bunch of other angels

but how are all these clowns able to live together like that? is it just because of the size of the tank?

Yes. A 400g tank has plenty of space where they can establish territories seperate from each other. Clowns don't need a whole lot of space, but you won't have much lucky trying to mix them in a 20 or 30g tank.

I had two clowns in a 125 and they fought all the time. In that big tank you see the fish as they are today. Check back in a month and I`ll bet there`s only half the fish there if they dont add anymore.

i have a pair in a 55 gallon and they hang out together all the time..... i was thinking about getting a tomato clown, but am unsure

doubt thats gonna work, I have 2 clowns in a 40 they have a nem they play in all day but they also make a point of swimming around the tank and making sure they let all the other fish know that its still there home

also get pretty nasty, clownfish are in the same family as damsel fish if im not mistaken and thats why they are more agresive fish, not as much as a damsel but still they can be nasty when they want to

my best advice on clownfish is pick one you like best . It's very challanging to keep to different types in a small aquarium. most attempts end with bad results. The ones i like the best are the orange & pink skunk clown, percula clown, ocellaris clown (most commonly sold as percula), tomato clown. with the ecception of the tomato clown are a smaller species and very well in trio's. hope this helps

Fisman

well i already have a pair of hybrid clowns that are a cross between ocellaris and Darwin (which is all black)

Sure, why not throw in a blue-spotted grouper and a seahorse while your at it too! XD Seriously, a maroon will attain the largest size of all the clowns and the most aggressive; there will be aggression on both sides of the fence. If you are set on combining species, I would opt for clownfish within the skunk complex (I prefer pinks: Amphiprion perideraion) and Saddleback's (Amphiprion polymnus) Clarkii temperments are all across the board from docile to aggressive so they are wild cards ime. Clarkii's and Percs/Ocellaris could inhabit reasonably together as could Clarkii's and Tomato complex. All are possible recipes for disaster.

Last edited:
Dog fight! or should i say clown fight. Look im not saying you won't be able to keep two different species in that small of a tank. But its not going to happen with out a fight and in most cases someone is going to loose. and the rivel will never stop. When we were trying to breed gold bar maroon clowns. We had a pair that was breeding like clock work. The male died. It took us 19 gold bars to get a trio. We added 5 the first time, 7 the second time one she let live, thrid time 5 she let one more live, they faught for several days to become the male. Keep in mine this tank was almost 10' long. my advice stick with the pair. good luck

Fishman

Back
Top Bottom