Kent Marine Phytoplex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any opinions on this product?

I now have 80lbs of keys rock and 25 lbs of tonga/fiji live rock and 10 lbs lace rock, all of which is not encrusted in life forms. I have added a large feather duster to the setup as well. To help with filter feeder growth I have been feeding the kent marine phytoplex at a rate of two capfulls a week. (this is the first week I have tried this product and it seems like all the filter feeders love it). Do you think this will help propogate filter feeder growth, should I add less (they say 1-2 capfulls twice a week for a 40 gal)?

I have used it and I must say that I have had no problems what so ever. My feather duster has thrived quite well. 0X

Can I ask about how much do you use? do you do one or two large doses a week or a little every day? Have you noticed any benefits?

Im glad you asked this as I was wondering as well. I have heard its good for annenomes as well?? Does anyone know of this too? I have been adding 1-2 caps fulls every other day or one a day.....(didnt mean to hijack this, just along the same lines as Im thinking of adding a feather duster as well)

Be careful adding too often as it will foul your tank just like any other overfeeding would. I think once or twice a week is plenty.

i used to use it but stopped due to reading most are " pollution in a bottle " and have had a feather duster get all its feathers eaten from a copperband and they all grew back rather fast with out any added chems so dont see the need imo :) save the money !!

I have had better luck using DT's. It is a live plykton you can get at some LFS. It does need to be kept in the fridge. Great for filter feeders.

im with scuba steve. i think the worms gets enough food without it and it's phosphate juice. i started seeing a new green algae on the glass when i started using it ... coincidence?

Someone should get some fresh salt water in a bucket, test for phosphates, add some phytoplex, and then test again. I'd be interested in seeing what happens.

To those who wonder about dosage, let me relay some good advice I once heard. The companies will always want you dosing more so that you run out faster and then buy more. Therefore, the amount advised on the bottle is likely the maximum amount they could realistically suggest, so it would be advisable only for tanks with the most filter feeders that could be stuffed into the tank. So, I (having only a few filter feeders) usually dose about 1/8 of what it recommends (usually about 1/4 as much and 1/2 as often).

I have noticed general improvement in the growth of my sea squirts, sponges, and feather dusters that accompanied my live rock from liverocks.com. (though maybe they just finally adjusted to their new home) =) Ill update the thread in a week or so and give my final impression of the product and some pics of my filter feeders =).

I used to give a small squirt once a week. Every other day seems a little much. Now I just added some of mine in my blender much !

I use it as well. I don't really measure it out though. I just give the tank (55g) a healthy squirt once or twice a week when I think of it. I don't have algae problems and have a reasonable variety of filter feeds (dusters, corals, sponges, etc)

I'd be interested in the "dose some fresh water and test" results as well.

Back
Top Bottom