kent nitrate sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
has anyone used this before with good results? i just purchased a small container in hopes of taking my nitrates from 20 to 0-5. i do PWC weekly, but i just cant seem to get them below 15-20. any thoughts?

IMO if you have them between 15-20 then that is not that bad. Usually a refugium is the next step to getting them closer to 0. Also denitrators can help. You can use it if you want but if you can get it to 10-15 to even 20 then I think you are OK. Check your source water to see if you are adding any nitrates. Good Luck.

checked that. no NO4 in my RO/DI water. only thing i can think of is maybe the sponge in the canister, but i try and rinse it once a month. you think i should just take it out? is there any beneficial bacteria that would be in the sponge? i put the nitrate media in a bag in the skimmer chamber. we'll see how it works.

I`ve seen people wash them out real good and I`ve seen people get rid of them saying they are nitrate factories. I hope it works out but as I said I dont think you are far off.

I tossed my sponges. I had 4 of them in my fluvial. If you only have one, try rinsing it out in FW and see if that helps. As stated above, 15-20 is not too bad.

mwrmma said:
yeah, there are 4 in mine too. i have the flluval 404.
In that case, I removed two at a time, waited a week and tested. Once I knew the water was ok, I romved the other tow.

mwrmma said:
...but i try and rinse it once a month.

Hmmmm. Does that mean it often goes longer?

If you're doing weekly water changes, rinse the sponge out in your old saltwater each week. Maybe if you do that for a month or so, you'll see your nitrates go down as long as you keep up your weekly water changes?

Back
Top Bottom