Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

You can pick up a handheld TDS meter from CaptiveRaisedCorals.com for about 30.00 plus shipping

Quote:
now on an average can i run tru 2-3 sets of filters before changing the ro membrane??
You can run through as many pre filters as needed, it is recommended to change your membrane at least yearly, but gallonage is a better way to go. You can contact kent and they will tell you how many gallons your membrane is rated for. The TDS meter will be your best indicator of when to change your membrane and flushing the membrane monthly will greatly extend it's life.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The TDS meter will be your best indicator of when to change your membrane and flushing the membrane monthly will greatly extend it's life.
At what ppm do you suggest one replace the membrane, Kevin? I was thinking at around 10 ppm it should be done.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Aztlan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
i do have the cheap tds meter that kent sells with there ro units !! dont like it though !! green ok red bad !?!?!?!? like to of had some number to go off of !! just food for thought for anyone else looking to buy one !!!
Hmm, the new Kent RO/DI Unit I got has a good TDS Monitor with actual
numbers. Looks like they offer a better one now. FYI
Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Duplicate please remove
Old 02-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
At what ppm do you suggest one replace the membrane, Kevin? I was thinking at around 10 ppm it should be done.
Depends on what they were when you started and what your source water is reading. 10 ppm might simply indicate the need to change your DI and not the RO You would need to test water directly after the RO and compare it to what it was when you started. I am just now getting into the RO/DI and TDS meter, been toting water for 18 months and am buying a new RO/DI complete with booster pump. Haven researched it enough to say when to change the membrane.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good.

According to my meter, my RO/DI water is 0-1 ppm. My tap water comes out at around 85ppm. So I guess I don't need to even worry about it. Just thought I would see what the ol'e wise one would say..

Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tap water comes in at 365 to 400 pretty high. Good thing it comes out at 0.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I'm on a well and even after the iron filter, I'm figuring I got pretty bad water. Can't wait for my TDS meter to come in, I am very curious

Quote:
My tap water comes out at around 85ppm
LOL, my booster pump is only gonna give me 80psi, I remember the days of city water {sigh}

Old 02-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
10-12 out of the RO is pretty good. The DI removes the rest of it. Unless you're really using a lot of water, you shouldn't have to replace the RO membrane more than once a year. Flush it regularly to extend the membranes life and get a few TDS readings from water that hasn't passed through the DI to establish a baseline...do this before the RO membrane gets very old. Then you can test the water once in a while to see how well your RO membrane is performing. Usually, unless your RO membrane is more than 9 months old, an increase in TDS indicates the need to change the DI cart. Also, don't assume the DI is used up because it all changes color...test it...you may have some useful life left in it. A TDS meter will pay for itself quickly in filter cart savings.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:19 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I have the Hanna tds that came with my unit from airwaterice.com The refills consists of a 10 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon and 1 micron carbon before the DI.

I'm only on my second set of filters so I don't know how long the membrane will really last. I do flush it before and after each use. The membrane has a three year warranty from the manufacturer.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com