Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
kenya tree care

All I am a little stunned at the fact that my knyas are dying. It's strange all parameters are normal, iodine, I add trace elements in my water changes , calcium ,lighting has always been fine. I can't seem to get them back to health. I've also noticed the other coral isn't as helathy as it used to be? Is there something I can add that will help? Ph salinity temp is all fine do is calcium I'm stumped I have changed a thing. All of the fish , inverts and mushrooms, polyps are happy. Could Cyanobacteria do this? I do have some inthe tank. Last water check phosphates were 0

mmaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Cyano means you probably have some nitrates.

Can you give a read out of all your tanks specs? Water volume, nitrate, phos, ammonia, ca, alk, ph, lighting schedule, flow rate, placement.

Make sure give us ACTUAL readings. I'm tired of people saying "oh no, it's fine" or "perfect" and later tell us their nitrates or ammonia are at 25 and .5 when they actually tell us the readings. I'm not saying you're lying to us or ignorant, I'm saying that without actual numbers we can't do anything but ask you more questions.

Have you added any new stock? How old is the tank?

Did you say you dosed iodine? That shouldn't be necessary. A good marine salt mix should be all the minerals and micros you need unless you have a lot of sps that need calcium.

Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I ll get th numbers I think my lfs employee didn't know what he was doing. As far as my knowlege you should never have 0 nitrates. It would be nice but it's hard and means your bio filter is workin which ia good. According to the sheet they tested 400 calc, 0 phos, 0 amm, 0 nitrate , 0 nitrite 8.2 ph, salinity 1.022, 55 gallon tank o have one ph pointed at the sand bed and on the se size a large ph pointed toward the top of the tank. Kh was tested at 8 I think. I also just replaced my membrain to my ro unit, I'm not sure If I have a cheap tds meter but I'm getting a reading of 90 straight out of the ro unit with all filters replaces and 557 raw tap water. Lighting cycle is 12 hours light 12 dark. Feeding phyto plankton and mysis shrimp and I mainly have sps and soft coral / mushroom. The Sps montipira I have seems okay, but the xenyia an Kenya not so much. Kenya used to thrive, had to give it away it grew too much .
mmaglione is offline   Reply With Quote

kenya, kenya tree

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com