Kenya Tree is wilting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathyjo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently added a Kenya tree and it like the last one i tried is wilting. SG 1.023, 76', Amonia and Nitrates are 0. there are 3 power heads and a sump. The mushrooms and Clam are doing fine but everytime i add a leather it wilts then disolves. What should I be testing for?

Nitrates are 0? That's weird, do you have a nitrate/sulphur reactor to rid the water of nitrates? or did you mean nitrItes? If so, test the water for nitrAtes and get back to us.

Are you using a test strip or a liquid test kit (like API)?
Also, I'm a freshwater guy, but don't corals and such need trace elements (calcium, phosphates, strontium, etc...)? Did you test for those as well? Feel free to post the results of other tests, but others will have to see them to decide if they're good or bad.

Yes they do need trace elements like those mentioned but they can be added with just normal PWC`s. How often are you doing PWC`s? Also did you cycle the tank?

I do a 5gal water change weekly (it's a 55 gal tank) and use store bought RO/DI water. I add Kent essential elements every other WC as the bottle says. the phosphates tested .25 and iodide tested .01. The local stores don't sell an iodine suplement. I haven't checked calcuim, but will do that. the Alkaline is 9.9 and the Ph is 8.4.

Oh and yes it's a liquid API test for the Amonia and such, the other elements are liquid salifet tests. No strips in my house.

I know when my SG is off the first clue is my kenya tree. It doesn't have to vary that much for it to look wilted.

5g is on the light side, you might want to increase it to 10-20% PWC a week or bi-monthly. You did not state what type of lights you have and what wattage. If the lights are strong enough for a clam...just thinking out loud. Leathers put out chemical warfare if they are to close to another coral and that may be a problem. Kenya trees will look weithered time to time depending on the light and water quality.

I have T5HO lights that run 420 from 8-9AM, 420 & 700 from 9AM-4PM, back to 420 from 4-6PM and LED from 6-8PM.

SG is currently at 1.022. Should it be higher?

You dont need the essential elements if you are doing frequent PWC`s. All those trace elements in the Kent product are in your marine salt mix.

I have T5HO lights that run 420 from 8-9AM, 420 & 700 from 9AM-4PM, back to 420 from 4-6PM and LED from 6-8PM.

SG is currently at 1.022. Should it be higher?
So your 420 is Actinic...what is 700?
and yes you should go up to ~1.025 SG.

I don't really know much about the lights, I just bought the AquaticLife T5HO with the best customer reviews. There are 3 different bulbs, one says 420/460, one says 700+, and the other is LED. The manufacturer had preset times that I cut in 1/2 to please my bird and the coral and fish don't seem to mind. That's really all I know about the light.

kathyjo, what length are your lights and try to get a wattage on them. This will help. When you say that the clam is okay, what type of clam is it and how long have you had it? I don't think you have enough lights for a 55g because even if they were 54w's that would only give you 108 watts which is not enough for a clam or most corals for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom