keys or gulf rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking of ordering some rock from liverocks.com and was wondering which was better, keys or gulf rock? whats the difference and which would you recommend?

Neither to me. I`m partial to Tonga,Fiji and Marshall Island rock. Better Quality rock.IMO

the keys has more coraline but I really like the gulf. It came with way more visible life than the keys.

Keys. Specify shape if that means anything to you (I hate lumps, prefer shapes, plates, arches, etc). I didn't like most of the life I did see. I'll stick to the things that I want to add to my tank from now on!

well thanks for the info but after figuring out what the shipping would be, i decided against buying from there. I was planning on just getting ten pounds for 48 dollars and with shipping and tax, it doubled the price 8O I guess it is more profitable with larger orders.

If you need 10 lbs, try your LFS. If you're setting up a new tank and needed a larger amount, Liverocks.com would win. Shipping 40lbs of keys rock to Nebraska was only $4.90 per pound, shipped, tax free.
To go to my LFS, I would pay $5.99 per pound, uncured, and ugly gulf rock, completely void of hitch hikers (even pods).

Apparently you've never shipped anything with next day air, by 10am. That's a minimum $25 right there. Bump it up for 10lbs worth, and to Kanasas, and yeah you're probably looking at $40 shipping. Very reasonable shipping cost.

It may be reasonable, but I didnt realize it was that much. There is a store 2.5 hours from where i live that i can get good live rock, i just thought it might be easier ordering it. I also wasnt thinking about the cost of next day shipping.

Buying online is all about balancing shipping costs with the savings of going online vs. retail. Typically you need to order 3 items to offset normal shipping...but on livestock and liverock orders, shipping is $20 minimum for FedEx next-day air. You and I are both stuck in the midwest, with LFS's that charge a premium for somewhat common fish, corals and inverts. I've just been doing this SW thing for a year, and learned the ins and outs of shipping already.

My LFS charges 5.99 per lb of FIGI liverock. that is friggin obsurd. i went to another place and got twice the quailty rock ( tonga deepwater ) for 3.99 a lb. I liked it so much i bought 65 lbs of it.

5.99/lb may be crazy in California, but thats about he cheapest you will find around here. I know of a store that was selling it for 11/lb, and it was noting special

Back
Top Bottom