kH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantareadio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone educate me? I don't understand what this is. But it takes me 15 drops to get from blue to yellow....

If it's the API kit, that means your DH (degree of hardness) is 15.... moderately hard water. What are you keeping, or planning on keeping? Some fish love those conditions, other don't, and, like Ph, many can adapt.

Phranque said:
If it's the API kit, that means your DH (degree of hardness) is 15.... pretty hard. What are you keeping, or planning on keeping? Some fish love those conditions, other don't, and, like Ph, many can adapt.

Yes it's API.
I have damsels and inverts and a soft coral.
Hardness of what? Do I need to lower it? Why is it so high? How do I lower it if need be?

KH is carbonate hardness, it is a factor in the buffering capacity of the water(resistance to PH change) I am not educated enough in marine tanks to say what KH is ok for saltwater inhabitants:nono: There are many folks on this forum very educated in saltwater that should be along shortly to help with your question.

All my other levels are consistently 0, ph is usually 8.2

I don't use API test kits (cheap and inaccurate, IMO), but if that is 15 dKH, that's way too high. Are you adding any supplements and what brand salt do you use? What is your salanity (SG)?

Is this considered a supplement?

Attachments

• image-1087105089.jpg
    image-1087105089.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 65
Anything that you add to your tank is a supplement.

Your dkh should be between 8 -12, below 8 will promote algae.

I like to keep mine at 9.6

Buffers...

I use this.

img_1731683_0_eba3a51ec674c4ca2a7722b2f1c170b1.jpg

Oh then I add lots o_O
Clarifier, stress coat, stabilizer, primer, bacteria...

Back
Top Bottom