Kill aiptasia with boiling water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. My friend told me a few weeks ago that I can kill my aiptasia by injecting it will boiling water. Is this true? My LFS doesn't carry Joe's Juice, and has only one product called "Stop Aiptasia" that is hideously expensive. Also, do I inject it with a needle, or a syringe into the mouth?

I recently lost my CBS to a dreaded Bearded Fireworm hitchhiker(think I might keep it in my 10 gal QT tank, cause it's neat looking), and as soon as I get rid of it, I plan on getting a peppermint shrimp or two. Every tells me that they eat aiptasia, but not neccesarily the larger aipstasia (I've got a few quite large ones). Is this true?

Thank you!

You can kill them with boiling water, but it's difficult to do and you can easily harm/kill other critters that you'd rather keep. Also, it won't always work. You need to hit the aip with a pretty good blast of VERY hot water. They will usually retract very quickly as soon as they sense a difference in the temp. If they are growing in a hole in the LR, they will likely get out of the way before any damage is done. Your best bet is to order some Joes Juice online. This will kill them every time if directions are followed and it's fairly cheap. Peppermint shrimp will usually eat small aips, but there is no guarantee. I would still get a couple though.

I've never heard of using lemon juice either, but I think I will order me some Joes Juice. I don't want them to get out of control, but if I don't do something soon, they will.

About how many peppermint shrimp should I get in 29 gallons? 2 would be fine, right?

Back
Top Bottom