Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long does it take to kill this cyano? My trates are now surprisingly dropped to 0 after couple of water change and chaeto in the fuge. My phosphate shows at 0 now but I still see hair algae on my rocks after having my gfo reactor run for 4 days.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

don't worry with test kits if you have algae you are not getting a true test anyway because the algae is eating up the nutrients thats why its reading zero. You need to pull the algae out of tank as much as you can. Then you need something to out compete it for the nutrients gfo ( in a reactor) to reduce PO4, carbon dosing with a great skimmer to reduce nitrates

Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Your filtration system doesn't work instantaneously. There is always a nutrient spike after feeding that gets reduced over the course of a day. Cyano grows very fast and can take advantage of these nutrients while they exist. I found flow helped the most. You can also try reducing selenium levels with some of the products out there.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

agree... Do I need more flow though? I have 3 powerheads that are all 800gph and a return thats maybe 500gph.

What should I do now? More water change? Add more rowaphos media?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Net or siphon out the existing cyano. Reduce feeding a bit. Make sure flow is present where the cyano tends to collect. Be sure your RO/DI water is pure.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post
How long does it take to kill this cyano? My trates are now surprisingly dropped to 0 after couple of water change and chaeto in the fuge. My phosphate shows at 0 now but I still see hair algae on my rocks after having my gfo reactor run for 4 days.
Patience my friend cyano doesnt disappear right away but you could help by using a turkey blaster and slowly blasting your rock so all the hair algae that floats you can just scoop it out. Just watch out for rowaphos too much can ruin your tank. You can add a little bit more if you like for me i added half of that rowaphos. Well got to work! Later!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's been almost month id say since I started running my gfo with a rowaphos. Cyano is not completely eliminated and its still there but im religious to my water changes. I also siphon cyano on the rocks ones they become visible to me so im hoping it won't be long until i stop doing this.

How much often do i need to change the rowaphos media? Every 2 weeks? Monthly?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When I was running GFO and trying to remove PO4 i changed mine out every 2 weeks. I was using BRS GFO not sure the difference if any. At one point I seemed to have hit a dead spot where nothing was happing, the algae wasn't growing and wasn't really going away either. I started adding a little more each time I changed out the GFO and was actually running twice the recommended amount but it worked. You just have to be careful if you have any corals you can starve them out
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can use a product called "Chemiclean" safely. it will remove the visible cyano. Of course, it will come back if the high nutrient issue isn't rectified. It sounds like you are well on your way as far as that's concerned.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
When I was running GFO and trying to remove PO4 i changed mine out every 2 weeks. I was using BRS GFO not sure the difference if any. At one point I seemed to have hit a dead spot where nothing was happing, the algae wasn't growing and wasn't really going away either. I started adding a little more each time I changed out the GFO and was actually running twice the recommended amount but it worked. You just have to be careful if you have any corals you can starve them out
When I add more gfo media do i have to take out the old one or I can just add more on top of the old one?

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com