Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks will have a google now lol

Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

Great!!!! Brought a butterfly today and only just red in my book it isnt feef safe and is nipping my zina

Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sadly,, tangs in any small system are stressed, and that brings on parasites. On the reef, tangs travel far and wide. They really shouldnt be in any tank less than 100 gallons, or a lot more. Too many LFS are anxious to sell fish and dont care that a tang in a stressful environment can bring the whole tank population down.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenjohns06
Great!!!! Brought a butterfly today and only just red in my book it isnt feef safe and is nipping my zina , god dam
Butterfly fish are also not a beginner fish. Try to use forum resources or google to better make decisions for your tank. You in the long run will be much happier and so will your tank.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #15

Some gd advice, I'm using this site cuz the. More advice the better I think, what does lfs mean lol, is it local fish store, they said butterfly's are reef safe when the 1 I have clearly isn't
Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

FWIW......I had the exact same problem when i dropped my tiny hippo in my 75g.

She developed ich after a couple days. I freaked out and started reading on line what I needed to do and what products i could use. Use this product, empty the tank and run for 8 weeks, do a freshwater dip yadda yadda yadda.

I may have gotten super lucky, but I did none of these. I made sure my water quality was pristine (tested every single day-PH, Salinity, Trates, Phos), always made sure to have seaweed w/garlic extract on the clip available to her and made sure to minimize temp fluctuation! The clowns and firefish never got it, so i figured i wouldn't go too aggressive with a treatment. After about 2-3 weeks, she cleared up and hasn't been back since. She's actually doing very well these days and is a gorgeous deep blue.

Like i said...maybe I just got lucky, but the non-aggressive treatment worked for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea...you can also use liveaquaria - while it's not a bible by any means, it gives some goodlines as to what fish you should mess with, and what fish you should leave alone....and how much gallonage a specific fish requires. Even there though, I do find some of their ratings a little odd...

Blue hippo tang for example is listed as easy, yet we all know they're prone to disease (Even says so in the description) - as such I would think they'd be moderate at the least, no?

Anyway...yea, generally speaking this is not the hobby to play with if you're prone to impulse purchases.

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com