Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Killer

Hire spot is a killer, thought I got rid of it as my marine Betta n lion dnt have it and it's been about 6 weeks with no sign, I put a yellow tang in and within 2 days he gets it, I no the only way is to take everything out the tank and leave it run for 6 months through a uv steriliser to get rid but realistically when u have a £700 pound coral that's the last thing I want to do, any1 no an easier option

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #2

Mean white spot lol

Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You only need to leave the tank fishless for 6 WEEKS, not months.

You can put the fish in a qt tank while the main tank sits fishless. The corals will be fine.

How big is this tank by the way?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #4

It's 300 litre tank 65 gallons
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #5

Tangs are very susceptible to parasitic infections compared to your marine betta and lion. They are especially prone to it during you first introduction to the tank. But if your marine betta and lion arent getting it, maybe just run the sterilizer with them in the tank and dont add anymore fish. I would say you could add a cleaner shrimp or two and they will eat the parasite, but one of your fish might eat him
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Hi, I had a white spot outbreak two years ago after adding a yellow tang. After looking at all the "reef safe" chemicals I decided none of them were worth the risk. At that time setting up a separate tank was out of the question so I figured the fish in my system were doomed. As a last ditch effort I introduced 2 scarlet cleaner shrimp. Within a few days the shrimp had cleaned all the spots off my fish and I have never had an outbreak again. Neon gobies will also clean fish but I wouldn't add more fish to a system that already has white spot but, the white spot doesn't seem to effect inverts.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about this someone local is trying it out and they had good luck with it the only thing that doesn't look great is the xenia .No-Ich by FishVet, Inc. So far so good it has been 4 weeks without any other spots on any of the fish all invertebrates are doing great, They are also using garlic vitamins and huffs (I don't know what huffs is the next time I go to lfs I am going to ask a lot of questions). This store is out of town so it might be a few weeks before I can get there.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

I will have to buy some on this vet fish stuff and give that a try. White spot still in tank an really want to get shot of it quickly
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #9

We're can i buy this treatment from
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

They sell only through distributors to individual stores, but a quick google search shows that it is available through Pet Solutions or Amazon.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com