Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
I had an opportunistic killer emerald. He waited until a shrimp or fish would hide in a cave or get stuck in a rock. He would just go to town on them. Killed a cleaner, ate my 3 peppermints while they ate leftover seaweed i would feed to my tangs. I returned him to the LFS after i had him clean up my fuge a bit.
I think thats what I'm going to do, put him in the fuge for a bit and then just take him back to my LFS!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
I've seen them take down healthy fish, especially at night when they were sleeping or resting either in the bottom or in holes in the rock. Bigger ones will take ornamental shrimp as well.
Yea, thats exactly what mine would do, he just waited till night time and kill! Both of my fishes were healthy...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Here's a link, if you scroll down to Mithrax sculptus, you'll see in the reference that they can become fish killers.

SWcrabs2

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
Here's a link, if you scroll down to Mithrax sculptus, you'll see in the reference that they can become fish killers.

SWcrabs2
So this confirms that the emerald crab is guilty as charged! Case closed...lol
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't know if it does or not. I've seen many inconsistencies on line and I would do more research than take the word of one person, or two even.
I'm not saying it's impossible, because people in this thread said they saw it with their own eyes, but i don't think it's a regular occurrence.
I've had tangs that ate corals and known coral eaters that didn't.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I don't know if it does or not. I've seen many inconsistencies on line and I would do more research than take the word of one person, or two even.
I'm not saying it's impossible, because people in this thread said they saw it with their own eyes, but i don't think it's a regular occurrence.
I'll keep watching him to see... I might be wrong!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yep, excellent point Doug - there are no hard and fast rules in this aquarium game.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. It's pretty hit or miss on the behaviors of fish and inverts. Each individual has its own personality and behaviors that may or may not line up with the general observed behavior of the specie. I returned the killer emerald to the LFS, but i still have 2 others in my DT. Best to deal with any issue as it comes up since behavior can be unpredictable. Rather keep them around as they're fun to watch.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can see it bothering a shrimp after it molts. I have seen an emerald crab get upset at a wrasse picking at it while it was eating algae and waved its claw but as far as trying to grab it it didn't. Even a sleeping fish when nudged usually goes into a sleep swimming mode which is strange because they are bumping into things all over the place.

I would look for another cause of death of the fish including collection methods. When all that has been ruled out then blame the crab.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
I can see it bothering a shrimp after it molts. I have seen an emerald crab get upset at a wrasse picking at it while it was eating algae and waved its claw but as far as trying to grab it it didn't. Even a sleeping fish when nudged usually goes into a sleep swimming mode which is strange because they are bumping into things all over the place.

I would look for another cause of death of the fish including collection methods. When all that has been ruled out then blame the crab.
When you say collection methods, what are you referring to? Thanks

Tags
crab, emerald, emerald crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com