Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Killer hermit crabs...

I seem to have a rogue band of killer hermits in my 20gallon reef. I keep finding astrea snails overturned and dead. Several times I've caught the buggers eating them right out of the shell. Do you think the hermits can actually kill the snails or are they just taking advantage of astreas that have fallen? It really irks me because I'm counting on these snails to help with my hair algae problem. I also got an emerald crab but all he's good for is sitting in my finger leather and chillin. I've yet to see him actually eat any algae

Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow, maybe you should trade your emerald in for a newer model My emerald is all over the tank constantly stuffing his ?face? with whatever he can find. As to the killer hermits, I would think they just take advantage of an overturned snail. I doubt they have any pack hunting instincts . Seriously though, I keep hearing that some of the bigger snails like astreas cannot turn themselves back over and have even seen it myself. In fact it has happened to a couple of my margaritas too.

39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
My hermits do the same thing. If the snail is upside down then I guess it is a buffet for them.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hermit crabs are omnivores. Once they start getting larger, they will actively attack snails. When they are small, they are likely just taking advantage of overturned snails.
MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Heck, if I walk by a snail on a shell, I'd eat it too! That's no lady, that's my wife!

But seriously, folks:
small crabs (any kind) = good to very good
large crabs (any kind) = bad to very bad

Take my crab - please
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
i agree some of the bigger ones will kill snails just for a summer home

i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com