Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Killer Hermits?!?!?!

has anyone heard of hermits killing snails? I think I may have a killer hermit on my hands 8O

Old 02-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They do it all the time when they need a shell to grow into.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

even if there is already empty shells for them to use? thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you certain that the hermit is killing the snail? Or just cleaning up one that has already passed?

And to answer your question, yes, some will. The grass is always greener.... well, you know.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's happening in our tank right now! A blue legged hermit is in the process of "evicting" a poor turbo snail. We've noticed quite a few of our turbo's have surprisingly blue legs! There are a bunch of empty transitional shells in the tank, but for some reason they are ending up in the snail shells. I'm not sure if the empties I have are too big or what, but to answer your question, it does happen.
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I started with electric blue ( so my LFS calls'm) hermits. 'Bout 12 of'm 12 months ago. Got one or two left. I noticed how aggressive they were it seemed as they attacked each other. I witnessed one that attcked another, picking up his shell and banging it against his own, finally driving the "banged" crab out. The aggressor crawled out of his, with the poor chap on his own shell -behind him. He tried of the new shell for a minute or so, and crawled back into his own. When he walked away, the poor chap crawled off his back and returned to his shell.

I've never purchased any more blues. I use the scarlet reef crabs and mexican reds now. Couple of staghorns for the front sand. All is more peaceful, but if someone needs a home, I will lose a margarita or astrea from time to time.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blue hermits are aggressive. I've never had any problems with my red scarlet hermits so far.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my blues are very agressive. scarlets and mexicans red leg have been peaceful. i am going to stick to more snails in the future.

steve r
Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I just had to pull a Emerald crab out of my tank last night for munching on my CC star. The poor star was halfway up the glass trying to get away and the crab was hanging on picking away.
At least it was easy to catch the crab, all I had to do was place a net under him and he bolted right into it.

Tags
hermit, hermits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com