Killer on the loose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
So in the past few weeks I have lost:

2 Emerald Crabs
3 Scarlet Hermits
1 Blue Tip Hermit

Is there a predator associated with these deaths maybe? I haven't see or heard any Mantis shrimp, I did see a 3 inch yellow worm awhile back, could that be the issue?

Any ideas...?

No sign of a carcass or anything else?

Your flamehawk would be the first suspect on the list. You could have a predator crustacean but it may also be a pistol shrimp or nuisance crab.

Cheers
Steve

I have seen the carcass's of them all the front parts of the scarlet and the blue tips, and the rounded body shells of the emeralds.

The flame hawk has never been agressive towards anything really.

Steve, how would I find out if I have a predator crustacean, pistol shrimp or a nuisance crab, should I just tank watch everyday more then usual or flash light at night?

Sneaker said:
Steve, how would I find out if I have a predator crustacean, pistol shrimp or a nuisance crab, should I just tank watch everyday more then usual or flash light at night?
As long as you are sure it's not the hawk and the water specs are good, it would be a good place to start. Just be sure you shade the flashlight with your hand. If it's a crab it will be easy enough to catch with a tall upright glass leaned against the rock and baited. If it's a predatory shrimp, you may need to get a >>trap<<. They are no where near as easy to catch.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I will be on the look out... Water is fine and like I said, I have never seen the Hawk advance at anything in the tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom