Killer peppermint shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just looked over at my tank and noticed my frogspawn was 100% closed up. It never does that- not even at night.... so I walk over and see a peppermint shrimp just picking away at it!!! Is it trying to eat the frogspawn? Also it is 100% a peppermint.... it is not a camelback. I chased it away and the frogspawn is now about half open again, so I know the coral is still alive. I just don't want it to become shrimp dinner again later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Urggg.... now that the shrimp has left alone the frogspawn for a bit, it is back to looking great..... but my anthelia has literally melted for no reason....

There is always a reason. Melting usually comes from fluctuating alkalinity, which can also be influenced by pH. Make sure you have a ripple like effect at the top of your tank. In the end, it just sounds like your peppermint is trying to clean up dead material.

If your corals are receding there is defiantly a imbalance , when corals are acting strange they are telling you something , once you start to see corals literally melting away it's time to start testing , the biggest culprit of melting coral is a alk/calcium imbalance a lot of times this can be corrected with a big water change with RO/DI water,
I also encountered this very issue not to long ago ,
as for the shrimp eating the coral it wouldn't be eating it if it wasn't dying , I have many shrimp they pick at corals all the time but there not eating the coral but all the crud in on and around it ,
You can't always point a finger because they do what they do cleaning up.

Last edited:
So apparently it didn't melt.... today my frogspawn is bigger than I've ever seen it, and the anthelia is doing fine.... don't know what happened, but I guess it fixed itself.... did a water change today though for good measure

Back
Top Bottom