Killing Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend who has broke down his tank due to a HUGE aptasia outbreak and is rebuilding it
He wants to kill all his live rock and basically turn it into dry rock to start off from scratch to be sure no unwanted pests are on it
How can he do this the quickest?
Boiling the live rock?
I would think laying it out in the sun would do the job?
Suggestions plz?

I have a friend who has broke down his tank due to a HUGE aptasia outbreak and is rebuilding it
He wants to kill all his live rock and basically turn it into dry rock to start off from scratch to be sure no unwanted pests are on it
How can he do this the quickest?
Boiling the live rock?
I would think laying it out in the sun would do the job?
Suggestions plz?

lay it out in the sun for over a week .....clean it off with a brush etc.....then put it all in container with heater and powerhead and of course salt water mix and seed it with a good piece of live rock and let it sit like that for two to three weeks and then its all live again.......

had that happen to my work tank 125g and aptasia took over took all the rock out and did that now it brand new in a sense

After laying out in the sun can he just put it in his tank?
He is recycling and everything
So can it be placed in the tank for the cycle?

After laying out in the sun can he just put it in his tank?
He is recycling and everything
So can it be placed in the tank for the cycle?

yeah he can put it back in essentially your doing the same thing as i said just in the tank itself......that should work also seed it and you should be good to go...

just clean that rock good and let it get baked good in the sun as well

Okksounds good
So in the sun for a few days
And rinse off well
And place in tank to begin cycle nd everything should be good
Thanx alott

Okksounds good
So in the sun for a few days
And rinse off well
And place in tank to begin cycle nd everything should be good
Thanx alott

yeah no problem let it sit for a week at least....

also i don't know how he is cycling but the best way is to get a big cocktail shrimp from a seafood store and toss it in the tank and let it dissolve and rot ....better than cycling with live fish

good luck and if you need help always post lol

He actually ordered Dr tims one and only nitrifying bacteria
So he is going to add that and a clownfish i believe

Just take a lighter to the aiptasia and scrub it off with a toothbrush. Rinse well and replace in the tank to cycle. If any show back up, burn them. Aiptasia-x if any show up once livestock is in.

And btw, any bacteria in a bottle is pretty much a gimmick imo. Just cycle the tank normally with a shrimp or pure ammonia.

I just shared what I did in another thread. LOL

I had a massive outbreak in my 55g that had no livestock in it so I nuked the tank with ammonia. I let it sit for a few days and then did some 90% water changes. Not one anemones survived. Also, all the ammonia still in the tank caused it to cycle which was a nice bonus.

I tried the boiling water soak with the rocks and letting them sit outside on the pavement but the anemones still came back. :-(

I had them everywhere too, in the sand, the skimmer the filter, everywhere. I actually had thousands of them, there was like a field in my tank of them.

Good luck, hope you guys get them!

I hope so too
Thanx
=)
And I actually have read very positive reviews on Dr.tims one and only
It cycles the tank i a few days

Back
Top Bottom