Killing Live Rocks to get rids of Hydroids advice plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I'll use old SW from my tank water to fasten the process.

I'm waiting for the rocks to have a more natural smell :p

I just put them in freshwater with a lot of prime and a 600 GPH pump for they dechlorinate.

Also... What's the difference between filter media and live rock ? Can I say my ceramic rings are "Live Rock" ?

And Can I say that my virgin bleached rock are Live Rock if they are only cycled without any microorganisms (except BBs) ?

My rock bucket now smells very bad... A kind of sulfur odor... Not chlorine... I throwed a lot of prime in that...

Also... What's the difference between filter media and live rock ? Can I say my ceramic rings are "Live Rock" ?

And Can I say that my virgin bleached rock are Live Rock if they are only cycled without any microorganisms (except BBs) ?

My rock bucket now smells very bad... A kind of sulfur odor... Not chlorine... I throwed a lot of prime in that...

"Live rock" is simply highly porous rock that has beneficial bacteria seeded in it. The live rock is porous enough to develop anoxic areas to support denitrification.

Ceramic rings aren't live rock, in fact they aren't rock at all. It's really just a matter of semantics at that point.

I would buy the aiptasia zapper from Marine Depot for $100.00 works great!!!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5 days now without ANY Live Rocks, ammonia still at 0 and nitrites too.

There's only the clownfishs that are unhappy because they're homeless. All corals seems in good condition.

My now dead rocks don't smell bleach anymore, I think I'm ready to cure them.

Should I use old tank water or I'm better to use fresh salted RODI water ?
4-5 gallons required.

Also, do I need a heater in my curing bucket, or this is optionnal ?

5 days now without ANY Live Rocks, ammonia still at 0 and nitrites too.

There's only the clownfishs that are unhappy because they're homeless. All corals seems in good condition.

My now dead rocks don't smell bleach anymore, I think I'm ready to cure them.

Should I use old tank water or I'm better to use fresh salted RODI water ?
4-5 gallons required.

Also, do I need a heater in my curing bucket, or this is optionnal ?
You dont need a heater but it would speed things up. I would just use some salt water to do it so the cycle would get started

UPDATE:

The 5g bucket water with the dead rocks and a powerhead is reading 1.5 ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites. So I just put a heater to raise the water temp from 21C° to 28C°.

Should I wait for a cycle or just rinse thoses rocks until there's no more ammonia leaching ?

It you have only ammonia in the bucket with rocks and no nitrite or nitrate then what you have is no bacteria in rocks.

Yes, I know, theses are LR I killed with bleach. Now they dead...

The question is, should I wait for a cycle before I put them back in the tank, or just change the water until it stops leach ammonia then put them back to the tank..

If you are curing the rocks they are not yet ready to go back to your tank since they have not yet cycled in the bucket. Otherwise the ammonia due die off will have consequences. Get the reading of nitrate also.

If you are curing the rocks they are not yet ready to go back to your tank since they have not yet cycled in the bucket. Otherwise the ammonia due die off will have consequences. Get the reading of nitrate also.

What's the max temp in C° for cycling and curing ?
How much time it takes ?

Why reading nitrates ? No nitrites spike yet...

Thanks

I just noticed it's 3 weeks ago you started the curing. Did you use any LR to seed them in the bucket and did you put raw shrimp? If not then your rocks are not ready. High nitrate indicates bacteria is doing its thing.

I just noticed it's 3 weeks ago you started the curing. Did you use any LR to seed them in the bucket and did you put raw shrimp? If not then your rocks are not ready. High nitrate indicates bacteria is doing its thing.

No I just put the bleached rocks into old saltwater tank. I have no more LR in my tank. I didn't put raw shrimp, as thoses rocks are leaching ammonia...

Can I seed them with live sand ?

And for nitrates, I mean, why test nitrates when there's still no nitrites ? Nitrates will appear after nitrite spike...

Back
Top Bottom