Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will require at least 1 week before bb starts colonizing. Old water should have some bacteria on it. Get nitrite reading after a week as well as nitrate for reference. Your old water has already some nitrate. You should expect it to go higher than 80 ppm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
It will require at least 1 week before bb starts colonizing. Old water should have some bacteria on it. Get nitrite reading after a week as well as nitrate for reference. Your old water has already some nitrate. You should expect it to go higher than 80 ppm

Thanks for advice, I'll try to seed with Seachem Stability and with live sand.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
UPDATE:

The 5g bucket water with the dead rocks and a powerhead is reading 1.5 ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites. So I just put a heater to raise the water temp from 21C to 28C.

Should I wait for a cycle or just rinse thoses rocks until there's no more ammonia leaching ?
Personally, I would just do a water change every few days until the rocks stop leeching ammonia. Theres absolutely no reason not to put them back in your tank once that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
What's the max temp in C for cycling and curing ?
How much time it takes ?

Why reading nitrates ? No nitrites spike yet...

Thanks
Its possible for the nitrite stage to be skipped. Some cycles never see nitrites.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you never see nitrite and nitrate then you have no bacteria. May be this would help.

Bulk Reef Supply - Blog

Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
If you never see nitrite and nitrate then you have no bacteria. May be this would help.

Bulk Reef Supply - Blog

His tank bacteria is already supporting the stock in the tank. What benefit would there be to cycling to rock?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you read his rocks are in the bucket?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Did you read his rocks are in the bucket?
His rocks are in the bucket after being bleached. They are currently curing. His tank ammonia and nitrite reading are 0ppm.

So like I said, what benefit would there be to going through the process of cycling the rock when the tank is already fully cycled.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

So many experienced aquarist know how to cycle but doesn't really understand how it works. Are you saying that once your tank has undergone the 1st nitrogen cycle it will maintain the same cycle even after removing the rocks which has diminished the bb in the tank?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
So many experienced aquarist know how to cycle but doesn't really understand how it works. Are you saying that once your tank has undergone the 1st nitrogen cycle it will maintain the same cycle even after removing the rocks which has diminished the bb?
So 30ish days ago the rocks were taken out. At this point I voiced my concern about the lack of beneficial bacteria. Between now and then the ammonia and nitrite have remained 0. The only measurement of bacteria we have are the levels of ammonia and nitrite which unless I've misunderstood something, have remained at 0ppm throughout the 30ish days the rock has been removed.

This means that the beneficial bacteria in the tank is enough to match the current bioload of the tank.

Adding the rock back in is in no way shape or form adding bio load into said tank.

Since the bioload of the tank directly limits the amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank, adding rock won't effect the cycle in either a negative or a positive way.

if there is something I'm missing, please enlighten me.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what the OP said today.
"No I just put the bleached rocks into old saltwater tank. I have no more LR in my tank. I didn't put raw shrimp, as thoses rocks are leaching ammonia..."
Obviously, you did missed something or did I?

Tags
advice, live, live rock, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com