Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyways, your point is that the OP doesn't really need to put the LR back to his tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
This is what the OP said today.
"No I just put the bleached rocks into old saltwater tank. I have no more LR in my tank. I didn't put raw shrimp, as thoses rocks are leaching ammonia..."
Obviously, you did missed something or did I?
He put rocks into an old tank to cure and didn't add shrimp because the rocks were leeching ammonia. Seems pretty clear to me, he's curing the rocks before putting them in his dt.

And my point is that he doesn't need to cycle them to put them back into the tank.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank could be in the threshold point and I believe he is not feeding or at minimal and that explains why the parameter is still holding. Putting the rocks back in the tank without cycling it first may take much longer for bacteria to colonize and you may end up with livestock slowly deteriorating.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
The tank could be in the threshold point and I believe he is not feeding or at minimal and that explains why the parameter is still holding. Putting the rocks back in the tank without cycling it first may take much longer for bacteria to colonize and you may end up with livestock slowly deteriorating.
So how exactly would adding the live rock now and slowly increasing feedings cause a deterioration of the stock versus starving them for another 3 weeks or so before putting the rock in? Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

The answer to your question is the right answer to this one. Which is faster to regenerate bacteria, a tank with ammonia or without?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
The answer to your question is the right answer to this one. Which is faster to regenerate bacteria, a tank with ammonia or without?
Why do already present bacteria need to be "regenerated"? And you completely avoided my question about the deterioration of live stock in the tank as well as the things you insinuated I don't understand about cycling.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

How can you be sure if the rocks are filled with bacteria if the cycle is not complete?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
How can you be sure if the rocks are filled with bacteria if the cycle is not complete?
Again, the rocks don't need bacteria when the tank has enough to support the live stock. Also again, how is starving the fish for another 3 to 4 weeks while the rocks are cycling going to be better than adding the rocks and slowly increasing feedings?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you insist that the tank has enough bacteria then you simply mean that you do not need the rocks back in the tank.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have laid out my points and I'm done with this argument.

Tags
advice, live, live rock, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com