Killing Live Rocks to get rids of Hydroids advice plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will require at least 1 week before bb starts colonizing. Old water should have some bacteria on it. Get nitrite reading after a week as well as nitrate for reference. Your old water has already some nitrate. You should expect it to go higher than 80 ppm

It will require at least 1 week before bb starts colonizing. Old water should have some bacteria on it. Get nitrite reading after a week as well as nitrate for reference. Your old water has already some nitrate. You should expect it to go higher than 80 ppm

Thanks for advice, I'll try to seed with Seachem Stability and with live sand.

UPDATE:

The 5g bucket water with the dead rocks and a powerhead is reading 1.5 ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites. So I just put a heater to raise the water temp from 21C° to 28C°.

Should I wait for a cycle or just rinse thoses rocks until there's no more ammonia leaching ?
Personally, I would just do a water change every few days until the rocks stop leeching ammonia. Theres absolutely no reason not to put them back in your tank once that happens.
What's the max temp in C° for cycling and curing ?
How much time it takes ?

Why reading nitrates ? No nitrites spike yet...

Thanks
Its possible for the nitrite stage to be skipped. Some cycles never see nitrites.

Did you read his rocks are in the bucket?
His rocks are in the bucket after being bleached. They are currently curing. His tank ammonia and nitrite reading are 0ppm.

So like I said, what benefit would there be to going through the process of cycling the rock when the tank is already fully cycled.

So many experienced aquarist know how to cycle but doesn't really understand how it works. Are you saying that once your tank has undergone the 1st nitrogen cycle it will maintain the same cycle even after removing the rocks which has diminished the bb in the tank?

So many experienced aquarist know how to cycle but doesn't really understand how it works. Are you saying that once your tank has undergone the 1st nitrogen cycle it will maintain the same cycle even after removing the rocks which has diminished the bb?
So 30ish days ago the rocks were taken out. At this point I voiced my concern about the lack of beneficial bacteria. Between now and then the ammonia and nitrite have remained 0. The only measurement of bacteria we have are the levels of ammonia and nitrite which unless I've misunderstood something, have remained at 0ppm throughout the 30ish days the rock has been removed.

This means that the beneficial bacteria in the tank is enough to match the current bioload of the tank.

Adding the rock back in is in no way shape or form adding bio load into said tank.

Since the bioload of the tank directly limits the amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank, adding rock won't effect the cycle in either a negative or a positive way.

if there is something I'm missing, please enlighten me.

This is what the OP said today.
"No I just put the bleached rocks into old saltwater tank. I have no more LR in my tank. I didn't put raw shrimp, as thoses rocks are leaching ammonia..."
Obviously, you did missed something or did I?

This is what the OP said today.
"No I just put the bleached rocks into old saltwater tank. I have no more LR in my tank. I didn't put raw shrimp, as thoses rocks are leaching ammonia..."
Obviously, you did missed something or did I?
He put rocks into an old tank to cure and didn't add shrimp because the rocks were leeching ammonia. Seems pretty clear to me, he's curing the rocks before putting them in his dt.

And my point is that he doesn't need to cycle them to put them back into the tank.

The tank could be in the threshold point and I believe he is not feeding or at minimal and that explains why the parameter is still holding. Putting the rocks back in the tank without cycling it first may take much longer for bacteria to colonize and you may end up with livestock slowly deteriorating.

The tank could be in the threshold point and I believe he is not feeding or at minimal and that explains why the parameter is still holding. Putting the rocks back in the tank without cycling it first may take much longer for bacteria to colonize and you may end up with livestock slowly deteriorating.
So how exactly would adding the live rock now and slowly increasing feedings cause a deterioration of the stock versus starving them for another 3 weeks or so before putting the rock in? Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point?

The answer to your question is the right answer to this one. Which is faster to regenerate bacteria, a tank with ammonia or without?
Why do already present bacteria need to be "regenerated"? And you completely avoided my question about the deterioration of live stock in the tank as well as the things you insinuated I don't understand about cycling.

How can you be sure if the rocks are filled with bacteria if the cycle is not complete?
Again, the rocks don't need bacteria when the tank has enough to support the live stock. Also again, how is starving the fish for another 3 to 4 weeks while the rocks are cycling going to be better than adding the rocks and slowly increasing feedings?

Back
Top Bottom