Kinda of a dump question but, (blue legged hermit crabs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you need to provide shells i can usually get my lfs to throw a few in for free every time i buy something...never hurts to ask :wink:

Blue Leg Hermits "Pirate or Beneficial"

I have seen this in a few of the threads here and want to let everyone know that Blue Leg Hermits are very effective algae and detritus eaters and are very beneficial.

I read this in some posts early on and thought I would test the theory that blue leg hermits kill snails out of vengence or prey.. Not so true.

I have witnessed them killing snails, however, it was because the snail fell off the glass or rock and could not right itself. This would leave the snail helpless. Astrea snails are famous for it. This is clearly the fault of the snail.

And it is pefectly natural for hermit crabs to fight and kill each other for shells, no matter what the specie. This is nature. Please don't stop using these cool creatures because of these stories of murder and mayhem with the Blue Leg Hermits, they really are our tanks friends...

And it is pefectly natural for hermit crabs to fight and kill each other for shells, no matter what the specie. This is nature.
I understand this is nature, but I just was upset b/c my blue crab killed a red one. Why should he get a $3 meal when I'm stuck eating 10 cent Ramen noodles? And the blue one wore the red one's shell for a day then went back to his old shell.
By far my blue leg hermits are the best algae eaters. I haven't had any problems with them since I added extra shells in the tank.

P.S. Timbo does your cat watch the fish? My boyfriend's cat is scared of our fishtank. :lol: I think it's too loud for him.

She watches like a hawk.. Sometimes I catch her on her hind legs just standing with her paws on the tank watching... :lol:

Yeah I know the Red Leg Hermits are more expensive..That is a bummer, I don't mix them..however, if it makes you feel better, the Blue Legs kill each other for shells....Even though they are only 10 for $10, that is still a bummer to see one on the bottom half eaten and dead because his so called buddy decided he wanted to try on a shell... :?

That's funny! Sometimes I sit with the cat on my lap to get him to watch the fish, but he'd rather watch my rabbits or tv. Actually he'd probably rather sleep but the rabbits are too loud.

Blue Legs kill each other for shells
Yeah, it is a bummer - a month ago I watched Crabby lose a battle with Spot for his shell. Right now it's just Spot (my blue leg) and about 75 red hermits that my boyfriend got for the tank. I would like to get more blue legs b/c they are really cool looking, but that suggestion was vetoed by the man with the money.

Back
Top Bottom