Kinetico R/O drinking water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i have two questions:

1. When we bought a house, it came with a kinetico R/O system for drinking water. I wanted to know if i could use that for a reef aquarium. If you go to their website (kinetico.com), it says that the system uses 3 stage filtration. First being a carbon sponge that prepares the mains water for the reverse osmosis process, two being the membrane itself, and three being a second carbon water conditioner right before it reaches the tap. I am so glad that the house came with it fixed in the kitchen rather than me having to purchase another whole unit.

2. I am sure that all of you know that if one wants to convert from FO to Reef, and the FO main tank used copper, you must replace all rockwork and substrate, and then give the tank a good washing. Can one siphon water into a large bucket and reuse it, or does one have to replace all the tank water as well.

Thanks in Advance!

P-MAN

You should be fine using that water system. Its basicly a two stage RO filter. The final carbon filter is fairly useless since the water will be about 99% pure out of the membrane. If possible find out when the cartrages and membrane has been replaced. If the current owner does not know then it will be good to replace all the cartrages.

Since you dosed copper its best to dump everything. One thing to be cautious of is how much copper was absorbed by the sylicon.

I'd recommend using a TDS meter, if you haven't already, to check that the RO membrane is doing its job or needs replacing.

Back
Top Bottom