Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Knock Knock who is in my tank???

I have a weird thing going on in my tank I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Firefish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater I hear a weird knocking sound that I can't pinpoint. I know it isn't a mantis shrimp I orderned from LiveRocks to add a lil more rock and they searched my rocks for any and told me to test the rock in a quarantine tank to make sure no mantis shrimp and I tested and there was none. The rock has been in about 2 months and tank set up over 3 years. I bought corals recently but I heard if it was a mantis it would have eaten my 2 clams by now and the clams are just fine. It's a weird knocking sound happens once in a while I tried to pinpoint and so far think its from inside the tank. I can't figure it out. Any Ideas?? Thanks

xxnonamexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
could be a pistol shrimp. I believe they are reef safe, may even benefit the system. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though)

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do the knock/click sounds come in pairs (knock,knock) or one at a time. Pairs = most likely Mantis. Single = most likely Pistol. Mantis can, and often do, go undetected for many months.
Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
If it is a Mantis I heard that It's good bye to my clams? How can I get it out or trap it? The sound is like a knock..........................................kno ck..knock.............................knock it fluctuats
xxnonamexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
how loud is the knock, like you think someone is at your front door. I have had my rock in for around two months now and just started hearing a clicking, most of the time its one click, like a snapple bottle cap can make, not as loud. As for a trap you can either buy one or make one. To make one cut off the end of a soda bottle (the part where the soda comes out) flip it around inside out so it creates a funnel into the bottle, place a raw shrimp in the bottom of the bottle with something that will hold it down. Lean it up against the rock you think its in. I used a 1 liter bottle on my friends tank to try and catch his mantis, but we caught his cleaner and three hermits the first time. I am almost positive that he has a mantis, and he has had no deaths, ive hear LR.com mantis are more docile, and often wont eat your livestock. The soda bottle trick takes a couple of nights from what i heard. Let us know how everything works out.

- Jeff
50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com