Know what I really can't stand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chisel

Aquarium Advice Freak
You know those times where you get into your tank to rearrange or clean something and no matter how hard you try, you end up getting little streaks of salt water down the outside of the glass?? That's not the part I hate. I'm talking about after you clean it and close everything up. You sit back and realize that you should have, or need to do something else in the tank. Then you end up doing the same thing all over again!! It drives me nuts. I know I'm making myself out to be a messy tank keeper but there are times that I have done it 4 times in one night. :p

Don't feel bad. I have to go through a major process to do any work inside my tank. My canopy has to come completely off the tank for me to do anything in it. Everytime I take it off and do some work I realize after putting it back on that something I did has fallen down or is not turned the way I want it. Oh and I always end up getting water all over the outside glass of the tank. That is why I try and do as much as I can when I have the canopy off the tank.

Never again will I design a canopy that gets in my way of working in the tank.

Sounds like my canopy. For a 55g, there isnt much room to do anything with the canopy and fixture on it so I have ro remove my canopy, then I either push the fixture back just enough for me to get my arm in. If I have to work in any other part of the tank other than the front, I have to remove the fixture. FUN!

Or setup a system to hang the canopy from hooks quickly as I do. My lights are attached to the canopy so it is heavy, but I have two brackets with picture hanging wire and S hooks, and two loops of line (an eye hook or bolt would be cleaner looking). It's 30 seconds to lift up one end of the canopy then the other for easy tank access.

Notice the strings...this was taken when I was installing my new lights. This is a 55g (12"x48") canopy.
P1020814.JPG

I hate that too. I also get annoyed when the outside part of the magfloat runs accross water and smears it everywhere!

Go without a canopy like I do.

I would love to but its near the couch and love seat and the lights are just too bright to deal with.

Eventually, since the two fans are in the back of the fixture instead of the sides, I will just attach it to the canopy with a few brackets. Not hard to do....i'm just lazy. lol

Back
Top Bottom