Kole Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello All,

I bought have a new kole tang in my reef tank. I had a good growth of algae, including hair algae, before I added this fish. Just for the record, when they say a kole tang will graze constantly, they mean it. I have so much less undesirable algae now. it's unbelievable. I have to keep nori in there now for him to have something to eat!

I agree Sharon. I love my Kole tang. He nips nuisance algea in the bud by taking it off the rock and glass before it can get out of hand. Mine`s about 8 yrs old now. How about a pic of your Kole tang. Is this a yellow eyed Kole tang?

Yeah I agree!

I have had a handfull of tangs, Powder Blue, Salifin, Naso and a bristletooth tomini tang.

NONE of them ate the algae strips I put in the tank, the only one that would even pick at the rocks was the brissletooth tomini tang, and he didn't pick at them very much..

ALL of them ate shrimp with the other fish.. Maybe that's why they all died..

I picked out the yellow eyed kole because of how active he was at the LFS. I put him in my tank which like yours had some hair algae and other algae from having my sump/fuge/skimmer down for several months due to a plumbing leak, and by the next moring the Yellow eyed kole was just going absolutly CRAZY over the algae in my tank! It's now been a few days and already he's mowed a good portion of it down!

I haven't seen him pick at the algae strips I put in the tank yet, but I think he will once all the good stuff in the tank is gone.

9x out of 10, whatever purpose I buy a fish for (Algae controll, flat worm controll, etc), they NEVER do what they are said to do by nature!

There are only 3 fish that I have ever bought that actually do what they are suppose to do by nature!

They are: Yellow eyed kole, Diamond Watchman Goby, and maroon clown..

I have owned 1/2 dozen ocellaris clown fish and NONE of them would give a hoot about my anemone, however when i got a maroon clown, he went straight to it and has been there ever since..

Good luck with your new clown, The Yellow eyed kole is now one of my fav tangs..

-TheChad

I agree Sharon. I love my Kole tang. He nips nuisance algea in the bud by taking it off the rock and glass before it can get out of hand. Mine`s about 8 yrs old now. How about a pic of your Kole tang. Is this a yellow eyed Kole tang?

It does have the yellow eyes... please hold, I'll get a pic.:)

Here's a pic, his stripes and spots show up really well in the pic. Can we see one of yours? I don't know how old this one is, but from the color I believe it's an adult?

Attachments

• Kole Tang Pic.JPG
    Kole Tang Pic.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 171
Yeah I agree!

9x out of 10, whatever purpose I buy a fish for (Algae controll, flat worm controll, etc), they NEVER do what they are said to do by nature!

There are only 3 fish that I have ever bought that actually do what they are suppose to do by nature!

-TheChad

I know what you mean! I have had the same problem with fish not doing what they're supposed to do. You'd think they'd know what they're supposed to do! :)
But seriously, the one thing I have found is that every time I get an outbreak of aiptasia anemones, that means my peppermint shrimp have died off. I get a couple and within days they eat all the aiptasia.
The only thing I'm worried about with this fish is I don't want him/her starving once the algae is gone. I did put nori in the tank yesterday and it's all gone now. I'm assuming this new fish ate it. We'll see. I've never had to try to grow algae!

Most recent pic I have.

029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom