Kole Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I'd say 75g minimum. One of the few tangs that can do ok in a smaller tank. :)

Thanks! Darn, I was hoping it would be ok in my 55g when I move my blue tang out when I upgrade. ( I know that 55 is way to small for blues, I am trying to upgrade as soon as I can)

Why is it that kole tangs can live in 75g tanks? Just wondering because I have one in my 75g, and also have a yellow tang that people tell me can't go in a 75g, or at least don't recommend it.

The yellow tangs require much more swim room than the kole is why they need the 6 foot tank. The difference between the 55g and 75 is the depth, so while the Kole needs ample swim room as well they can get away in the 4 footers.

Whats a blue eyed tang? Never heard of one. Got a link?

carey said:
The yellow tangs require much more swim room than the kole is why they need the 6 foot tank. The difference between the 55g and 75 is the depth, so while the Kole needs ample swim room as well they can get away in the 4 footers.

Whats a blue eyed tang? Never heard of one. Got a link?

Oh ok, so a 55g is still probably too small. Thanks for your help.

Idk, my kole tang is much more active than my yellow. They're about the same size. The kole darts around rock structures, looks at you, then darts to the other side and does the same thing. The yellow is more of mellow character. He doesn't swim crazily unless something spooks him.

Where does this info come from? its one person hearing it from another... A 75 jam packed with live rock may have less "swimming room" than a 55 with the minimum amount of live rock. I dont think one tang swims more than the other. While snorkeling I have never seen any kind of tang stay in a 55,75 or even a 125 gallon box. I dont think any tang is happy in any aquarium. That is a little extreme I know but the main difference to me between kole and yellow has nothing to do with swimming room but more to do with mature size when discussing why a kole can be put in a 75 and a yellow shouldnt. When you are talking kole going in a 55 or 75... depending on rock work there could be just as much swimming room in one as the other... they are both 4 foot tanks.

Can the Two Spot Bristletooth Tang and the Kole Tang live in the same 90 gallon aquarium? I don't know if I can choose between them... LOL

Hinds04 said:
Where does this info come from? its one person hearing it from another... A 75 jam packed with live rock may have less "swimming room" than a 55 with the minimum amount of live rock. I dont think one tang swims more than the other. While snorkeling I have never seen any kind of tang stay in a 55,75 or even a 125 gallon box. I dont think any tang is happy in any aquarium. That is a little extreme I know but the main difference to me between kole and yellow has nothing to do with swimming room but more to do with mature size when discussing why a kole can be put in a 75 and a yellow shouldnt. When you are talking kole going in a 55 or 75... depending on rock work there could be just as much swimming room in one as the other... they are both 4 foot tanks.

Yeah but the mature size listed for yellow tangs are only 1" more than the kole tang, and honestly I don't think that's really justifies HAVING to have a six foot tank. But the thing about wild tangs is true, none of them stay in a small space and only swim in that. They go all over the place. However, tank raised fish have never experienced the ocean, so they will more than likely be happy in a large enough tank.

No tang is ever tank raised from birth as far as I know... and depending where you look... I think the average difference in size I have seen was about 3 inches in length which equates to a much larger total body as they are a pretty circular shaped fish

when they say tank raised they mean caught as juvenile and brought up in a tank, when it comes to tangs anyway.

any tangs can be housed together, its best to introduce them at the same time

Idk, I've seen yellows listed as 8" and koles as 7". Also, by tank raised fish, I meant captive bred ones, not tangs. I don't think they've tank bred them yet, which is stupid as they're one of the most popular fish LOL

Back
Top Bottom